F-104S Intakes

Are the Cutting Edge F-104S intakes for the Hasegawa G noticably larger in diameter or longer than the G/S kit intakes? Do they have a different inlet spike?

I can't tell the G/S intake differences in photos, and I'm quite happy to fill in the kit relief doors and scribe new ones if that's the only difference.

Reply to
Brooklyn Modeler

The CE intakes are a little bigger in diameter and the intake shock cones are also different than the kit pieces. Whether you get the CE set or not should probably depend on whether you need the other stuff in the set. If you are planning just a special scheme F-104S with only tip tanks and the only thing you need the set for is the intakes, then it probably isn't worth it just for that. However, if you want all the pylons and missile rails also, then you'll want the set.

In addition to filling and rescribing the intake side, you'll need to add the prominent external hinge at the bottom of the new door (which is actually an aux intake).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Thanks for that. The intakes were the sticking point.

The underwing pylons should be simple to scratchbuild or modify from other kits. They generally fly with just the outboards in place - one with a Sidewinder, the other with a Sparrow. I've checked lots (and lots) of references, and those extended fuselage missile rails developed for the S seem to be used only for static displays.

Reply to
Brooklyn Modeler

Brooklyn Modeler a exposé le 04/05/2005 :

If you want to see closed details of F-104G intakes, there is a complete walkaround of an Italian one one my website.

Hope it will help...

Reply to
Flying Frog

Actually, I've only seen the underfuselage rails on the original S models, which used AIM-9B. I haven't seen them on ASAs or ASA-Ms, which upgraded to AIM-9L. Don't know if there was a technical reason they stopped using the fuselage rails, like they were incompatible with the 9L, or they just decided to stop using them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

They didn't even start using them. As official references, pictures and personnel's memories , the so called "catamaran" belly mount has never been used operatively on the -S. Just some static exhibit to give that "heavy load" look, using the few racks left from the -Gs, and even on the -Gs it was very seldom installed in flight. ASAs and ASA-Ms are completely out of context about this device.

-- Luca Beato -

del plastimodellismo su
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ / X No HTML in / \ email & news

Reply to
Luca Beato