F-16 colours and jetpipes

I wonder if I am re-opening a can of worms with my question. Or maybe the answer is so well known that it is boring. If so, I apologise! :-)

I am planning to build a 1/72 F-16C using the Hasegawa kit (which has been sat in my loft for over a decade!). I intend to use the new Superscale sheet

72-873 for the squadron commander's aircraft of the 512 TFS/86 TFW at Ramstein.

I'm a little confused about the F-16 colour schemes. Am I right in saying that F-16s came from the factory in a three grey scheme (36118, 36270,

36375) but were repainted in a two grey scheme (36118, 36270) after their first major servicing?

I have noticed that some aircraft have the darker grey demarcation line sited well behind the cockpit area, while others have it actually running through the cockpit area. Is there any reason for the differences or was it all down to how the painters and finishers felt on the day? Some F-16Cs seem to have the front portion of the fin fillet painted in the dark grey as well as the leading edge of the tailplanes in medium grey, while others don't. Why?

I tend to build variations on a theme, so I'm pretty sure that more F-16s will follow. With that in mind, am I correct in assuming that the original Hasegawa kit (HA B02) has the GE engine? If so, what is the best way of building an aircraft with a PW engine and small mouth intake?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I think that's because it was done by hand, correct me if I'm wrong. It use to be the reason for those kind of differances. But at the same time it makes it much more fun to model the F-16, as you can create different individs... Check

they use to know everything about this issue.

//André

"Enzo Matrix" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
André

The aircraft was origianlly sold with the Pratt engine, so I would think that the "original" kit would have the Pratt engine nozzle. GE got the tap in about 1983, if I recall the party when we won right. The way to tell the difference is that the GE nozzle has a bit more curve in it's outline. The big mouth intake came yet later still...I think. The Falcon experten out there are going to have to fill in my blanks here...I only know the motors.

As for the camo demarcation, from what I've seen it can vary. I suppose it depends on where the jet was painted, whom painted it, and with what type equipment - for US operators there are several refurb depots, as well as touch up which may occur in the field. Check pictures for the jet you wish to model. That's the best way.

Reply to
Rufus

Thank you. In that case, would the Hasegawa F-16N provide a suitable kit for the small-mouth GE powered version?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Which tail number is on the SuperScale sheet? What are the markings? I was at Ramstein during the conversion from F-4Es to F-16Cs. I photographed a number of the 86TFW F-16Cs and Ds, including 85-1286 "Peppermint Patty", aka "Candyass". I know a year or so later they traded in their Pratt & Whitney powered jets for later block GE powered jets, but I was long-gone back to the states by then. I have a photo of one of those GE powered jets with a dragon on the tail that a friend of mine shot. If you want I can e-mail you scans of my photos. Scott Wilson comm-nav avionics tech, 526TFS/86AGS, 86TFW (F-4E) 1983-1986

Reply to
avnav526

If this site doesn't have the answer I don't know who does.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Reply to
Steve Collins

I should think so...you'll end up with some parts you won't need, if my

1/32 Revell F-16N is any example. I plan to use a Pratt nozzle from my Revell F-15 Strike Eagle kit on it - the detail is better, and it fits nicely.
Reply to
Rufus

My 1/48 Hasegawa kit (# V3) depicting this Ramstien jet has it's tail number as 84-316. So does the SuperScale sheet.

Does that spark any memories?..

Reply to
Rufus

I think it was 84 fiscal year, but I'm certain at least one of the Dragon CC jets was 412. The 1/72nd sheet shows it that way, too. Actually, both of them do. The jet was on an earlier sheet from them, also, with the drawings based on photos and drawings made by Mark Anderson, a crew chief I was in QA with. 84-316 was the jet used as the

316 Air Divisi>
Reply to
Steve Collins

Both the kit decals and the SuperScale sheet (which is a duplicate of the kit decals) only show the lion as black and gold - which part(s) was blue?

The other jet in the set is 84-286; with a red and white striped tail, belonging to the 512th TFS. Did you know that one as well?

Fitzgerald, Racicot, Puckett, Gilbertson are some of the guys names on the sheet. All from the 512th, from the look of it.

Reply to
Rufus

According to the instruction sheet the aircraft is F-16C-30 85-0412 512 TFS/86 TFW. It is a GE powered jet with a small mouth intake. On the fin there is a large black dragon superimposed over a stylised German flag. It certainly seems like the jet that your friend photographed. Thanks for your offer, Scott. I would be very grateful for copies of the scans.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It *did* have the answer! :-) Thanks very much, Curt!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Superscale sheet depicts 85-0412.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I posted my scan of Kevin Foy's photo on alt.binaries.models.scale.

Reply to
avnav526

Thank you very much indeed.

An interesting point is that the SuperScale instruction sheet is incorrect as it shows the aircraft without a dark grey band on the fin fillet. Your photo clearly shows that the aicraft did indeed have the band. It also seems that the serial number on the ventral fins is somewhat larger than those provided on the decal sheet, but that is easy to fix.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Try this link :

The Egypt I Schemes show the 3 tone grays with variations on the demarcation line of FS36118 where as the Hill Scheme is just 2 tone grays. (Excluding the nose cone) It lists the Egypt I schemes with the F-16A and the Hill Scheme as the F-16C.

Hope this helps.

Vic

Reply to
Vic

Try this link :

The Egypt I Schemes show the 3 tone grays with variations on the demarcation line of FS36118 where as the Hill Scheme is just 2 tone grays. (Excluding the nose cone) It lists the Egypt I schemes with the F-16A and the Hill Scheme as the F-16C.

Hope this helps.

Vic

Reply to
Vic

Reply to
Steve Collins

84-1286 was wearing a 512TFS patch when I photographed her on April 10, 1986. I'll post a scan of my photo on a.b.m.s. Scott Wilson
Reply to
avnav526