TF-18 and F-18D two seaters - same plane?

Hello, I have an older Hasegawa TF-18 kit in 1/72 that I was thinking of building as a F-18D. Is the TF-18 the same aircraft as the F-18D, or is the D a completely different Hornet?

Reply to
Pauli G

They are different. The TF-18 is to an F/A-18D what an A model is to a C model. The differences extend to the size of the ailerons, details on the tops of the vertical tails, no LEX slot, LEX fences, no leading edge snags on the wings or stabs, additional EW suite antennae, and a vastly different aft cockpit.

Not saying it can't be done, but that you will have to do some research and a goodly bit of modification if you want it "right". The Detail and Scale book on the F/A-18 (the first one) has a good section in the back of it on modifying the 1/32 Hasagawa FSD FSD Hornet kit to production standard - most of what is there (and more) will hold for turning a TF into a D.

Reply to
Rufus

Thank you! Not sure I want to go the conversion route. Is there a good F-18D kit out there? If so, who makes it?

Reply to
Pauli G

I'd be interested to know as well. I too have a TF-18 kit and was thinking of building it as one of the aircraft on the MAWdecals "Leatherneck Deltas" sheet.

I see that Hobby Boss have a number of new mould F/A-18s planned. I wonder if it would be worthwhile waiting for those.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

There's two that I know of in 1/72: Hasegawa and Italeri. I've built the latter, and plan on the former. Italeri one was done as VMFA(AW)-225, while the Hasegawa bird will be VMFA(AW)

-533.

Reply to
Matt Wiser

Hasegawa - best there is in 1/72 or 1/48.

Reply to
Rufus

The current F/A-18D from Hasegawa in 1/72 (kit D9, 00439) is a great start if you want one now...decals, a cockpit kit, and a bit of etch and you'll have a VERY nice model.

BTW - there were only two TF-18s built for FSD, if I recall correctly...the des had changed to F/A-18B by production initiation.

Reply to
Rufus

latter, and plan on the

I did the VFMA(AW)-225 job on my 1/72 Hasegawa...

Reply to
Rufus

Although Academy is supposedly releasing an 1/72nd C shortly.

Cheers,

Andre

Reply to
Andre van der Hoek