Difference between F-4J's and F-4B's

Hi. I was about to get started on the old 1/72nd Monogram F-4J when I found some old Superscale decals for F-4B's. They're a lot more colorful than the F-4J. So, what are the external differences between the F-4J's and F-4B's? The only thing I can see is that bumb on under the nose cone (any ideas on how to scratch one?)

TIA Yau-Hang

Reply to
Yau-Hang

Lots of differences, mainly the thinner wing caused by using thinner high pressure tires. Very difficult to convert-

Reply to
Jim Atkins

The main difference is that the -B had thinner tires. That mean it lacked the bulges in both the top and bottom of the wings and across the landing gear doors and speed brake to accomidate the larger tires fitted to all other F-4s except the -N (which was a modified -B). These wing bulges make conversion quite difficult. Also, the -B/Ns had different exhausts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Speaking of F-4Bs does anyone know if there are any 1/72 Bs available currently.

Reply to
Bob Anderson

1) Exhaust Nozzles - The B had short ones, the J had longer ones 2) Stabilator - The J had a slotted stabilator 3) Control Panels - Different instrument layout in front and rear cockpits

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Fujimi does a very nice B/N kit in 1/72.

-- Jeff C RLHD

Reply to
Jeff C

Not forgetting a completely different wing.

The B had the thin wing with the shallow wheel well.

The J had the "bulged" wing with the deeper wheel well.

Cheers,

Troffa.

Reply to
Mark Wilson

All RF-4Bs except the last small batch also had the thin wing.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

The slotted stab was retrofitted to many -Bs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

The Airfix kit is also a "B" -- but I'd get one *only* as a last resort. (It's an early-'60s-vintage mold.)

Why hasn't Hasegawa done one yet?

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

They have. AFAIK the only major Phantom versions Hasegawa hasn't done in its (newish) 1/72 series are the Spey-engined variants.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Hasegawa's F-4B (and F-4N) kits are rereleased with new decals periodically. Most recent ones were the "MiG Eater" and "Jolly Rogers" boxings. Fujimi's kits are OOP at the moment.

HTH,

Andre

Reply to
Andre van der Hoek