[Q] CF-18?

I'm currently planning on using Flightdecs 1/72 tiger meet scheme decals for the CF-18. However, I only have the F-18D kit by Hasegawa in 1/72. Are the 2 planes very different?

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef

CF-18 is a single seat aircraft based on US F/A-18A variant. Your model is a double seat aircraft and is based on a single seat F/A-18C variant, which is newer than F/A-18A and differs from it slightly. So conversion from your model to CF-18 is probably possible, but very difficul. You would have to modify the aircraft to single seat version first, then remove some parts typical for C/D variant and then add some details typical to Canadian aircraft...

My advice: forget it...

Reply to
Vodnik

The model could be used for a CF18B, but the tiger meet decals cannot be used as this aircraft is a CF18A

Lloyd Curtis Call the ball

Reply to
Tigger899

First, AFAIK the Canadians (and Spanish, and Aussies, for that matter) don't operate any D models - they have A's and B's (which are in upgrade to A+ and B+). The tails are also different on C/D vs A/B jets.

Other than the spotlight in the gun access door, and a different seat harness, they are externally identical to USN/USMC A and B model aircraft.

Reply to
Rufus

Actually, if you tried to use a D model for a B the tails would be wrong.

Reply to
Rufus

A bunch of years ago, I picked up an Entex (IIRC) F-18 in 1:72 scale. The molds were courtesy of a Japanese firm, but I don't remember which one. I believe that it was either an F-18 prototype or an F-18A. I've since seen it on eBay.

The Old Timer

Is the tail wrong in shape or just the antennae? I believe it is just antennae, so it is the same changes as a C to A back date.

Lloyd Curtis Call the ball

Reply to
Tigger899

Yes - just the antennae and fairings at the top. I suppose you could fix it with some filing and such, but it'd be more than I'd like to do considering that there are A/B kits out there.

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef

SJU-5/6 I believe would be appropiate for a CAF A/B or A+/B+.

Reply to
Rufus