Which brand 1/48 F-18?

Hi folks,

I have decided that my next project would be a CF-18 1:48 scale, but I need to order in the kit (nothing available locally). So, I am wondering if anyone can make a recommendation or point me to a reviews website so I can choose between the Revell, Monogram, and Testors kits.

The Testors and Monogram seem to be readily available, lest we forget inexpensive, so I'd be happy with a thumbs-up/thumbs-down for either, based on fit/finish and overal attention to detail.

Many thanks! Craig

Reply to
TheMilkGuy

in article snipped-for-privacy@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com, TheMilkGuy at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 10/25/07 10:40 AM:

Both the above have articles on building the Monogram A/F-18, but nothing on the Testors kit. From what I've read, if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for the Hasegawa kit, the Monogram is the way to go.

Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

The Hasagawa kit are far and away the best F/A-18s in 1/48, and even offer a CF version, as I recall.

Other than that, the Monogram (and/or Revell - I haven't actually seen the Revell offerings, though) are far and away better than any Testors offering. You'll have to change the seat a bit if you're building a CF jet, and make any needed modifications to back date it to A model configuration.

Reply to
Rufus

Thanks Rufus & Pip Moss...

It looks like the Monogram will be the way to go... I found another by ESCI, but I can't seem to find a review about it anywhere. Wikipedia gives ESCI a nice review, but can anyone comment further?

Again, thanks!

Craig

Reply to
TheMilkGuy

The Monogram F-18 ( 1/48 ) makes a nice kit and it's less complicated than the Hasegawa kit ... however keep in mind if you want to show the flaps and leading edge slats down ( as most F-18's look sitting on the ground ) the Hasegawa kit is the way to go. That is not an option on the Monogram kit.

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack