1/48 F-104 aftermarket sets

Yes, I know I said that I wasn't going to buy any more kits...

But, I'm looking for a bit of a challenge that I can build in slow time in parallel with my normal builds. When I build jets, they are in 1/72, so I'm thinking of something in 1/48. My abiding memory of working on aircraft is that they spend most of their time sat on the deck with all the panels open - usually with a gang of groundcrew stood round, scratching their heads and muttering "Wot the bluddy hell is wrong wiv it *now* ?" In that case I want to build my 1/48 jet with everything open and drooped. Flaps, slats, airbrakes, panels... you name it, I want it open.

I'm also pleased with my results with Alclad 2, so I want to do something with a natural metal finish - like I said, I want a challenge. And as I've just completed a CF-104, and thoroughly enjoyed it, then I think that's my baby!

There is a plethora of aftermarket detail kits for the F-104 available in

1/48 - very confusing. If you had the choice of any of them, which would you get?
Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I've used the Cutting Edge and Aires cockpits and both are quite good.

Reply to
Ron Smith

I suppose that you picked either Hasegawa or Revell:

- Cutting Edge for the thingies on the inside of the canopy (demisters, or the like) although they won't spare you some scratchbuilding;

- Cutting Edge for the C1 seat if you need one; the Aires set comes with decent C2 and MB GQ7 seats;

- Aires for wheel bays, exhaust nozzle and cockpit (be prepared for a LOT of sanding). Check your references, for some versions, the exhaust nozzle and afterburner ring aren't the right ones;

- CMK for electronics/engine/gun bay/radar. The set comes with a cockpit and wheel bay, maybe the fit is better than Aires - don't know, I still have to try that.

- Eduard for the instruments panel and all the fiddly bits (antennas, incidence sensor, front gear scissors, canopy locking mechanism etc);

- Edouard again for masks;

- Fine Molds for a pitot tube;

I have the Verlinden set (electronics bay, ladder, radar and some additional stuff); but it's pretty crude, compared to the CMK set, and IMHO not worth the price.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Excellent! Thanks for the advice.

Reply to