Grumman A6 Intruder in 1:48 Scale

Greetings! I am in search of a kit for a Grumman A6 Intruder in 1:48 scale. This was the precursor of the EA6B Prowler, with the Prowler being a "4 Seater." (I
have the Monogram EA-6B Prowler in 1:48, and the A6 Intruder in 1:72) The kit of interest is **1:48** TIA Bruce
Recent E variant reissue by Revell, dirt cheap if you look. try evilbay
Avoid the Fujimi kit, its poor.
And yes im sure all us plane modellers know its the 2 seater precurser variant, i have 7 E and 2 EA6B BUT NO DAMN EA6A!!!!!
I just sold the resin flaps set, was nice.

Revell Monogram did an A-6E/E Tram and Revell did an EA-6A. Airfix did some A-6 variant as well.
"Bruce W. Apple MA, NCC" wrote:

Airfix only did a Prowler, not as good.

was
(I
The
JULIAN HALES wrote:

Still an A-6 variant.

Yes but not a Intruder like he wanted, they dont do that

Hello Bruce. If you're looking for the presecessor to the EA-6B (as in electronic warfare/countermeasures), you want the EA-6A. Monogram/Revell released that version in 1/48 scale back about 1989-90 timeframe (I've still got one, maybe two in may stash in the basement) but I don't recall that it stayed on the market all that long. I don't think it's currently available but you might find one on eBay or at one of the model conventions.
Good luck with your search.......Bill
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
A very nice 1/33rd scale Intruder can be purchased for $11 at:
http://www.papermodels.net/special.html
It is a cardstock model with lots of detail. No painting is required and the artwork has lots of "weathering." This is an advanced kit that takes skill and patience to complete. The Polish firm GPM is leading the way in quality paper models that are remarkable by any standard. Only problem, the instructions are in Polish.
An aftermarket vacuform canopy is available for this model at ....
http://www.cardmodelers.org/gomixhome.html
The glass of the canopy can be the hardest part to make realistic with a cardstock model. The vacuform fixes this issue, and is worthwhile because the cockpit of the model is very detailed and you want to be able to see it.
I have an opinion on the shape of the nose on this model. It just doesn't look right to me, too narrow on the bottom, and the "pedal" method of creating the compound curves of the nose is never really satisfactory. If I were to build this model, I think an attempt to hand craft a more accurate nose with resin, balsa wood or vacuform methods would be attempted. Then you would have the challenge to spray paint this new nose to match the rest of the printed colors of the model. It would be worth the effort because the rest of the model is so impressive.
Another solution often used is to build the nose of the kit, strengthen it with super glue and epoxy. Add putty and sand, then paint.
Go ahead and buy it sight unseen. For $11 you can hardly go wrong, even it turns out not to be your cup of tea. You will at least get some very useful coloring information for any A-6 model you may eventually build.
Vess Irvine Estes Park, Colorado