FA: Douglas XCG-17 1/72 kit (DC-3 glider variant)

DC-3 as a glider!

Please look at:

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

***** Anyone have any idea where and how the tow line would attach to this glider? Cheers Jim. [To reply direct please take the 'z' out of the address - my home made anti-spam thingy - thanks]
Reply to
Jim

I am unable to find a photo of the attachment point, in any of my books, but it is stated that "the towline was attached to the front of the center section". I assume this is underneath, in the area of the wing root, perhaps at the spar.

In addition, the nose section of this airframe was lengthened by about six feet, to increase payload. It also reportedly had a flatter glide angle than any of the army's "real" gliders.

Towing was done (in theory) by tandem C-47's (such as the Ju-52's and Me-321); but usually a C-54 or B-17 was used.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

********* That sounds good. Would you have any idea if the 'hook' was just an open hook or would it be a closed unit with an electrical or manual release?
********* Now, that's interesting. May I ask where this information comes from? If they've done that to the airframe I'll have to get checking for other modifications..... Nothing is really simple is it?

Thank you Greg the help is much appreciated. cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

i suspect they would use a cable that also had electrical wire for communications, so there would be a pull out plug as well as the hook. usually the hook had half a circle that pulled up and opened.

******* Hmmmmmm? The electrical communications wire - that hadn't entered my thought process - of course, most say that's not unusual. Thank you for the information. That six foot stretch to the forward fuselage still has me a bit puzzled as the few photos I'm able to come up with seem pretty much the same as a standard C-47, less the engines of course.

At one time I saw some photos that showed the 'under nose' pitot tubes and antennae had been moved, presumably to keep them clear of the tow line. I'm unable to locate them now, so here goes another where, where, where hunt.

Thanks again. How's the Walrus progressing? Cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

i've done a couple f matchbox' and a smer. not ready for the ca yet.

****** Sounds like good progress...... :-)

With regard to the six foot extension of the forward fuselage that Greg mentioned, I just assumed that they had tacked on another six feet of airplane. Didn't sound reasonable, but........ Anyway, my search for XCG-17 information turned up the following information in the book 'Fifty Glorious Years' by Arthur Pearch. 'The one and only XCG-17 conversion was a Long Beach built C-47 Skytrain 41-18496. INTERNALLY the cabin was lengthened six feet forward to accommodate......' Ok, so that solves that. I don't imagine much of that six foot extension could be seen from the outside of a model, so it goes into the 'I know it's there but you can't see it file'......

Thanks guys. much appreciated. Cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

i saw a build conversion somewhere but can't find it. if i do....