Fascinating old magazines

So I got a bunch of antique Air Trails Pictorials today, back from 1949 and 1952. On the cover of the February 1949 issue (Cover story: "The Reds Aren't Stallin'") is a group of Tu-74 bombers, which was a sort of

2nd generation B-29 and above these os a jet fighter, the likes of which I've never seen. The fuselage is broadly based on a P-80, with narrower cheek inlets, the edges of the rear stab are all straight-edge, with a T tail. The wings have a light sweep, with more on the leading edge than the trailing. It is painted in a pleasing salmon, with yellow fuselage and vertical stab bands, both of which have a red star in them. There are no wing stars. A yellow tipped nose and a yellow "6" ahead of the cheek air inlets completes the view. The drawing is by Frank Tinsley, and the 3-view inside only lists it as a Soviet "high-speed research jet plane". So my question are these: Is this some kind of Soviet "Luft '46" or did this aircraft actually fly? and Does or did anyone make a model of the Tu-74?
Reply to
Old Timer

Depends on what they're calling a Tu-74. There was the Tu-4, B-29 clone, Tu-70 transport version, Tu-80, Tu-4 follow-on & then the huge Tu-85, Tu-80 follow-on. I'm not familiar with a Tu-74 B-29 type, not that it means anything. The jet sounds cool. Any chance of seeing scans of the pics & drawings?

Reply to
frank

If you can, send me a private e-mail and I'll scan you a copy. I screwed up BTW, it was listed as the Tu-170. Looked like the Tu-75 transport but with three turrets and by the drawings, definately on a bombing mission.

Reply to
Old Timer

I sent out a bunch of the pictures - did they get through? I got an error message are they went out. Let me know and if not I'll try again.

Reply to
Old Timer

I couldn't find any reference to a 'Tu 74' in Gunston's "Aircraft of the Soviet Union," but there is a Tu 75, which looks like a transport with a turret over the flight deck and a rear cargo ramp a la the Ju 352 Trappoklap. The wings are straight B-29 copies, and the fuselage is reminiscent of the HP Hermes.

As for the T-tailed fighter, I remember that one from a picture book on jet aircraft from my elementary school days in the fifties or early sixties. It was supposedly a Kurt Tank-designed fighter, although he was safely esconsed in Argentina after the war, building the Pulqui II, so that can't be. I've gone through all of Gunston's book and there's nothing like the one you describe, except for the Yak-30 advanced trainer, which didn't quite have a T-tail, wing inlets instead of at the cheek, an unswept wing, and a first flight some time in 1960. This is probably not the same airplane. What you're looking at is almost certainly a figment of someone's imagination. I'm not sure it even rises to the level of 'Sov '46,' like that old monstrosity that was Aurora's attempt at a MiG-19.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Send me your e-mail address and I forward to a copy of the aircraft if you'd like. And speaking of the Aurora "Mig-19", I came across a drawing in a

1952-ish Air Progress magazine as the Mig-15bis, with permanent RATO take-off assist and a nose radar dome. I showed it to the Keeper, and he agreed that it did look like Aurora's entry. I don't know where Air Progress got their information from though....
Reply to
Old Timer

get that boy back in usenet----teranews or bubba news.

E-mail addy is as above. thx.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Mark - I mailed it this morning but AoL sent a note that it failed to deliver. Please let me know if it got through. If not, send me an e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com with your snail address and I'll send it to you on the land-line. Regards,

John

Reply to
Old Timer

It's probably spam-trapped, but in that case I wonder why AOL reports it as not delivered. It is delivered, just not to my mailbox. Anyway, I 'll get back to you once I check.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Nope, message didn't show up at all. I'll send you my snail address.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Schynert