'Girdered' moon ship model from an unmade movie?

Go to...

...and pay particular attention to Chesley Bonestell's truly dynamic painting of one of the moonships touching down [click third pix down].

Now, in "The Wrath of Kahn", when Checkov & the other guy are snooping around in the deserted shelter on sand-stormed 'Alpha Ceti 3' [I think], you'll see a partial model of the same girdered, tanked Bonestell moon ship: about a foot or so tall as a background prop.

That raises the question: what was it from? A movie never produced that would have used such ship models? It's sure not the old, vaguely similar, Lindberg moonship model kit...

I have no memory of such a distinctive girdered and tanked ship in any TV or movie then or before TWOK. "Conquest of Space" [George Pal] used the neat Von Braun winged Mars ship with jettisonable tanks and girders [from Bonestell's "Conquest of Mars" book] but that's the only one I can think of.

With the exception of Star Trek, Space 1999, C57-D, Disneys' Moon and Mars ships, 'Invasion of the Saucer Men' and a couple others, all other TV and movie spaceships from the 50s and 60s until "Space Odyssey" always used the classic 'cigar shape' fuselages with various fins & wings. I don't remember any foreign space films using the Bonestell design either.

Know anything about this partial ship model or the movie it came/almost came from?

Reply to
Nev

I think it was the other way around. Werner von Braun and Wiley Ley were taking the case for space to the world through books and magazine articles. Some of these concepts provided the basis for Disney tomorrowland shows, movies like Conquest of Space and the Men into Space TV Series. Others went nowhere.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

"Val Kraut" wrote

They did indeed: articles for Colliers magazine and Bonestell did the paintings.

Sure enough.

Yes to that too.

But it doesn't address my question... unless that's what you meant by 'went nowhere'?

Reply to
Nev

Reply to
ducky87