glue damage on clear parts

I'm always getting glue on aircraft windshields & found a mention of this stuff, when looking for something else...

I've heard talk of people using it for restoring scratched laptop screens.

I wonder if it would restore aircraft windshields ?

DS

Reply to
Meee

DS, There is another product sold by Micro Mark (hard copy and web catalog), called micro-mesh. It is a system comprised of progressively smaller grits of sandpaper/cloth starting from around 800 grit to 12,000 grit and a polishing liquid. I have used it on the windshield of a model car and it worked pretty good. For A/C canopies I use clear glue (Testors for canopies).

You can order it directly from Micro Mark or check and have your LOCAL hobby shop order it for you if they do not carry it.

Cheers,

Ray ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Yes, using Novus polishes (you will need to work your downward from the coarser grit to the finer one) will get rid of glue marks on windshields but it is going to take some effort and the windshield will *not* look as clear/shiny as it did originally. A dip in Future may help with that; I've never tried it. Another issues is that glue marks often occur on the interior of the canopy and you aren't going to be able to get to them unless you remove the canopy from the airplane. They are problematic enough when they appear on the interior of an automobile windshield

Reply to
Larry Farrell

Future (Kleer,etc.) can work miracles. Try it!

Reply to
dancho

My problems have been getting crazing on inside of canopies. Can't fix those afterwards :-(

I have started gluing canopies on with epoxy, since I find both cement and CA can craze clear acrylics.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

on 11/20/2007 10:05 AM Don Stauffer in Minnesota said the following:

Those that I did years ago were glued on with PVA (Elmers white glue). Although the aircraft I packed away 25 some years ago lost wheels, props, open canopies, ordnance, and other parts, the PVA glued closed canopies are still attached.

Reply to
willshak

Testors makes a liquid glue specifically for gluing canopies and clear parts on which works great. It comes in the same type of triangular bottle their liquid cement uses:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 11/20/2007 10:58 AM Pat Flannery said the following:

I see it is water based. Probably Elmer's in a different package. :-)

Future floor finish (you've probably never heard of it :-) ) also has some gluing properties.

Reply to
willshak

No, it's not Elmers... it seems to have a lot in common with a thinned-down acrylic paint or transparent (it dries transparent, but is milky-colored when wet) latex paint. It has very good adhesion and it flexible to some extent. If it gets wet after drying, it turns milky again but will re-dry clear. Although you can clean it up with water when wet, it doesn't appear to be truly water based as such. If you've ever used Microscale Kristal-Klear, it's similar to a thinned-down version of that.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery