Kits Presently Available Priced through the Ceiling

Has anyone noticed with the auction places or old kit stores( mostly on the internet) That there holdings fall into three types. There are geninuely hard to get things such as old science fiction. Kits that still represent the best model of the type. Kits where one must decide if they are worth breaking the piggy bank.

Then there are the kits for which superior models now exist. Where one would either be saving a kit surpassed like a wine that will never be opened or there is a lack of knowledge to obscure the fact that a better kit exists. I concede there are a few that will pay eighty dollars to build a jet that cost me .75 cents in 1969 for nostalgic reasons.

My favorite finding I will split in two parts. One can find a marked up kit at the sites I mentioned possibly not realizing it is in production. It is in the hobby store much cheaper from the same company, or a rebox from a company that acquired the rights such as Revell germany has done with many Matchbox types.

For me, since I only get what I plan to build, such companies and auction sites might have something such as an old Italian seaplane or flying boat not in production that is still the best thing going. Yet at the high prices I see more and more the resin market is stepping in with a better product.

Sincerely,

AC

Reply to
Albert

My favourite is one fellow who bought a bunch of my half-finished stuff which I sold him at the price I paid for the kits when I bought them. He has finished them and is now listing them at prices I would never have the cajones to ask. I really don't think I would have sold the stuff had I known it wasn't for his personal collection. Oh well, live and learn.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It always comes down to one thing, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, too high or too low is only a subjective point of view by the individual.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Before bidding on an eBay item, check to make SURE that it hasn't been re-released. A HUGE number of old, old kits are being re-released now.

Reply to
dancho

A good example of that is the Revell 1/48 Visible / Cutaway B-17. It is scheduled for re-release the end of December and the older kit is selling on ebay for up to $200.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

It has been pointed out quite correctly that people will pay what they will for an item. I have seen on Leno people buying extra long french fries, a shoe of a photographer run over by Britney Spears. You name it: people pay tens if not hundreds of dollars for this stuff.

I am going to divide the model builders, I do not address those who speculate on collecting, into two types. hose who just want the best example of a given machine and those who might want a particular kit for nostalgia. Perhaps a project such as building all the original Monogram 1/48 WWII fighters because they did this as a kid or always wanted to build the series.

I was trying to focus when speaking of re-sellers on modelers who wanted to build the best available example of a given machine. I myself have for example a 1/72 TBY vacuform, a resin kit, and will probably get the injection molded kit. At no point should anyone pay more for the vacuform if construction is the intent. The vacuform is nice, but it is surpassed by the other two kits.

I think the post pointing out to check what is in the retail stores both shops and sites before bidding on auctions or buying from the resale internet stores is most important in saving your dollar.

Also I might add ask at a club or on the groups and boards if the kit you spotted on line is the latest in the scale. I am thinking back to some 1/50 scale Japanese fighters I thought were so cool when I was young. I still love the planes, but I would get the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kits ( I do have most of them) I want nostalgia and accuracy. I would hate to pay $80.00 for an old 1/50 scale kit, only to find out my Frank or George can be had in a modern 1/48 kit for $30.00

AC

Reply to
Albert