Grumman Panther color scheme?

I've just been watching the computer colorized version of "It Came From
Beneath The Sea". The film was originally shot in black & white in 1953 and
used a great deal of stock footage. One thing puzzled me, were the carrier
jets in the movie (which I assume were Grumman Panthers) or any other US
carrier jets of the period ever painted in green camouflage as added to the
movie, I assumed they were only ever dark blue? TIA.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Apparently, you didn't catch the real oddity in the movie... that the giant eight-armed octopus only has five arms. Harryhausen topped out at the seven heads on the Hydra in "Jason And The Argonauts". That drove his entire stop-motion team nearly over the edge of insanity as each head had a crew of animators dedicated to it as their particular head moved around and snapped at things with its terrible jaws. :-)
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery
I recently watched the remake of "Mighty Joe Young" with Charlize Theron and Bill Paxman. Ray Harryhausen has a cameo role as one of the diners at the benefit dinner which Joe trashes when he goes harpic.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
I was trying to keep it on topic :o)
Harryhausen explains on the commentary track there were actually six tentacles but you were never going to see them all on screen at the same time so there was no point in having eight.
There are some gems for planespotters in the movie including a rescue sequence involving a Martin Mariner flying boat. I had to look that one up on Google images as I'd never seen one before.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
". One thing puzzled me, were the carrier
I have to believe this will eventually show up at a contest where somebody saw the movie didn't realize it was colorized and puts a Panther in painted green. There's been some really good stories over the years on mis-information like the Pink Emily ending up at a contest - or the dark brown deck on the Hornet for Doolittle Raid, which I've seen a lot of. If you want to see some good vintage Panthers in color there's a movie called "Bridges at Toko-Ri.
Val Kraut
Reply to
Val Kraut
And re-released under the SSP in the '90s. That's when I got my second one. I wore the first one out years ago.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
1/110, IIRC. It fits nicely with some die-casts and the Aurora/Comet F3D. Pretty close to Revell's P-3A too.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Site Timeline