Help needed w/ selecting a compressor.

I am in the market for a new compressor. I found these:

The first two look pretty all inclusive for the money. I am trying to decide between the one with the tank for 170 and the one without the tank for 130. Is the extra forty bucks worth getting a tank. Is having a tank purely a consideration of noise or does in improve quality/control of the paint work? I won't be using this thing for anything other than scale models and (unfortunately) not all that often either. Maybe a couple of times a year. I am inclined to skip the tank. Any input would be appreciated as to the tank or no tank question or if you think I should look at another model. Thanks, Jack

Reply to
jwadetjpp

quality/control of the paint work?>>

Absolutely improves quality. The tank is not only for storage, but also acts as a buffer to smooth out the airflow. Without it you get wild pulsations in the airflow--imagine what will happen. There are other setups a lot cheaper though..

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

pulsations in

Thanks for the advice! Can you point me to a cheaper set up that can be bought of the shelf ready to go?

Reply to
jwadetjpp

Definitely yes. A compressor this size pumps just enough air to use an airbrush with a .4mm nozzle, which is the minimum size to spray correctly metallized paints. The tank gives an additional reserve of air and helps smooth the airflown which in turn prevents spitting and irregular spraying with high viscosity mediums.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Again, thanks for the help! I guess there is more to this choice than I realized. Any FAQs out there I should be consutling? Basically, I want the best all around compressor to suit all my modeling needs at as low a cost as possible. All I will use it for is painting models in

1/72 and 1/48 a few times a year. Thanks, Jack
Reply to
jwadetjpp

You should be able to go to a hardware outlet and get a small compressor with regulator, compressor and tank for less than that. Ensure that it's oilless and check for acceptable noise level. Compressors made exclusively for "airbrushing" are underpowered and overpriced in my opinion. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a setup with an integral tank--it cuts down on the racket, which would be worth a few extra bucks to me.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

if thats all you need is a couple times a year and for nothing else.heck just buy a(5-10 gall) tank.(around $25).and install a filter and regulator.. take it somewhere where it can be filled fully .(not the 35psi quarter machine) it's real quiet too.. I also agree If you buy a compressor buy one with a tank

Reply to
spiff

A couple of months ago I picked up a compressor with tank for under $50 at a Target store. I didn't even know Target sold such items but they were clearing out the remaining stock when I happened to see a few on the shelves. The regular price on this item was over $80 and the sale price seemed like a good deal so I bought it. I wasn't absolutely sure it would work with my airbrush but it connected just fine. Now I get MUCH better results from my airbrush because I can adjust the pressure.

You might look for a "cheap" "industrial" compressor like this one. I've heard that Wal-Mart also sells similar compressors.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight