Help Needed W Extension lines

I am new to AC and am trying to teach myself. I am using AC LT. I have an inner and an outer rectangle. I dimension an edge of the inner Rectangle and want the text portion of the
dimension print outside the outer rectangle. When I do this the extension lines for the dimension cross the edge of the outer rectangle and the space between the rectangles. Is it possible to have the extension lines stop at the outer rectangle and just 'point' to the endpoints on the inner rectangle?
Thanks for your help.
Add pictures here
✖

If I understand correctly, just adjust the "Offset from Origin" variable in the Dimension Style Dialogue Window (or modify the or type DIMEXO on the command line).
For individual objects, you can select the object and modify the following in the PROPERTIES window -> Lines and Arrows -> Ext line offset. It should be the last item, so you may need to scroll down to find it.
Add pictures here
✖
The simplest way to accomplish what you want is this. Pick the dimension you need to edit so the grips are highlighted, the blue squares at the ends of the extension lines. One at a time pick a grip the represents the point you want to move. With ORTHO on drag the grip to the line representing the outside triangle. All that being said AutoCAD and LT are not programs you can teach yourself in any effective and productive way. At the very least you should spend the time necessary to go through the tutorials supplied with the program. The best way to learn would be to take an AutoCAD Fundamentals course at a local reseller or possibly a local community college or trade school.
Daryl
Add pictures here
✖
Either Daryl's or Zac's method will do what you want. You could also type 'move' on the command line (just the letter 'm' might be enough), then left click on the dimension to select it (see the commands at the bottom of the display), right click, then left click and hold down the mouse button and just move the whole dimension to the position you want.
To keep the movement restricted to vertical or horizontal only, known as 'Ortho' (orthogonal), press F8.
Remember to look at the Help files. Try a search in the Help files for Ortho and Move, for example. It will be there somewhere.
Brian.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (trvlnmny) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 1:34 pm, no-spam-for- snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

Sorry chaps, but I'm pretty sure I've understood the OP's request correctly. Under these circumstances, the solutions I've provided are the only ones provided thus far that will achieve the OP's objective - unless disassociating dimensions from the object being dimensioned can reasonably be considered a 'solution'.
Add pictures here
✖
I agree with you, but circumstances here seem to be on the inexperienced side and, increasing the origin offset has the same effect in that there will be a large gap between the end of the origin point and the end of the extension line anyway.
So, as long as 'ortho' is used, there will be no practical difference in presentation on the drawing.
When the OP has been along that learning curve for a while, then perhaps altering the dimension format will become second nature - but not yet! (:-))
Brian.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (strawberry) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
But the problem with the method you propose is that you are breaking the association of the dimension to the object. Essentially the dimension node that would normally be attached to the object being dimensioned is lost. If you were to then strecth the original object the dimension potentially is not grabbed and not updated. Not a good situation especially for an inexperienced user and not a good habit to form.
--
Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
✖
I am certainly not proposing it as a definitive solution, but just one other method to help the OP out of his specific problem, that's all. It is certainly not something I would do myself.
Brian.
snipped-for-privacy@-RemoveThis-engds.com (Patrick Hughes) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖