HMS Victory Cross Section?

Corel's Kit SM 24

a hull door with wood steps leading into it from the waterline. Is this door on one side only or is there an identical door on the other side of the hull? The plans show both versions.

Reply to
PaPa Peng

PaPa Peng wrote

Had a look at some pictures we took of HMS Victory in 2008. Three or four gunports from the port stern, there's a door (with a fairly ornate decorative lintel) which opens onto the middle gun deck - the top of the doorway is more or less the save level as the tops of the gunports. We paid attention to this bit, as it's the door you go in through.

We didn't really pay attention to the starboard side when we'd toured the Victory (limited time & desire to see the Mary Rose) but I found a picture we took showing the starboard side from a distance. There does seem to be a similar door in a more or less similar position. There's a sort of hood affair over it, and fixed steps down to the tarmac; I suspect it might be a fire escape now.

There were also a couple of doorways made by deepening gunports near the bow and stern of the lower gun deck on the port side; I guess they're comparatively recent. The one in the stern is the exit from the tour (and the gift shop).

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

Shows a hull door with wood steps leading into it from the waterline.

Ships generally had an entry port on each side. It allowed boarding on the windward side regardless which tack the ship was on. One generally boarded on the wiindward side because the ship was heeled away from the wind, makng the slope of the steps that much gentler and the likelihood of being rolled down into the water that much less. Every little bit heped.

<Jessie_C>

Did a google search on finished models. Had one or two pictures showing the wood steps on both the port and starboard sides. The real clincher was when I thought of inspecting the kit's parts packages. There were two of those fancy "hoods" over the door opening(s). So two sets of steps it is.

Reply to
PaPa Peng

Any chance of getting hold of build plans/instructions as I have a kit without these.

Reply to
micky.e46

If it is the Corel kit, I have the plans & instructions. I can scan them if you like.

Reply to
the Legend of LAX