Hobbytoan Ooopsie!

So I went to the local Hobbytown USA yesterday to buy some paint. I found the manager of the strip mall changing the locks on the door and inside was stripped to the walls. Seems that the current franchise holders weren't able to make ends meet due to the current economy and that very bad reputation that the previous owner had saddled them with. His attitude of MSRP was a place to start pricing and work up (sometimes as much as 25%), instead of offering the customer an occasional bargain. When the new owners took over, they really never had a strong customer base due to the antics of the previous owner. I mean if it was "Fred's Hobby Store" and went over to being "Bob's Hobby Store", they might have had a chance, but it was still "Hobbytown U.S.A." with no indication as to who was running it. Well after three or four months of dwindling sales, after work last Friday, the current owners cleaned out the store and split. The manager was supposed to meet them on Saturday to discuss their back rent (unpaid) and found the store empty. There was a sign on the window that indicated that they didn't ~want~ to leave, but couldn't afford to stay in business. I still have a couple of locals to buy my paints and supplies, a railroad shop not too far from here and a big ma 'n' pa about a twenty- minute ride from here, but this is a real pain in the ass - those were nice folks, at least up until this.

Anybody want a "Hobbytown U.S.A." franchise? I know where you can get one real cheap!

Reply to
The Old Man

Once upon a time there were many stores where kits, paint etc could be purchased in our area. Now there's one fully stocked place and one general hobby - R/C, Plastic. trains etc. Both a considerable drive. Year's ago two of the shops here went down to state tax auctions. You show up as usual on Friday and there's a notice in the window - all contents to be auctioned by state tax department for deliquent taxes. The one guy critized the first to go as being unrealistic and not appreciating the tax folks were serious. Two year's later he went the same way.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Val Kraut

There used to be a great ice cream shop on the Drag in Austin. Run by a bunch of hippies, all black lit. Great icecream and toppings and all that. They never paid sales tax. Funny, tax guys shut them down. Never figured out why.....

Reply to
frank

Was there anything "special" about that ice cream? Brownie flavor?

Reply to
eyeball

Oh, these guys paid their taxes all right and they weren't put out of business by the local or state taxman (Lord knows THEY charge enough in New York State), they just didn't pay their vendors, landlord or utilities. Word has it that most people who might have been customers didn't go there because they didn't know the place was under NEW management with reasonable prices. I was just shocked by their scuttling off in the middle of the night (literally) and sticking everyone with the accumulated bills. As I said, too bad they couldn't have called the franchise Bob's Hobbytown U.S.A.

Reply to
The Old Man

I think the small had 15 scoops and 5 toppings. Had it once.

Other than that, usual bunch of flavors and topping. Just black lit inside, tables were cable holders wooden things sold cheap. Don't remember on what seats were. Posters all over, fluorescent paint literally dribbled everywhere.

Some tried to keep the 60s going way into the mid 70s.

Reply to
frank

Best oopsie is when Michaels for some bizarre reason has 12c markings on the models they sell. Checkers don't care, whatever it says it is, is what it sells for. Must be a glitch in the software somewhere. Hobby Lobby has a price sticker on it as well as the bar code. Michaels just scans and bags. Both use MSRP so using their weekly coupons helps a bit. Michaels has a half off for today and Monday, though they're still selling the same stuff they had a few years ago. How many variants of the glow in the dark pirate ship are there........

Reply to
frank

it's alive and well in the desert. still gets high and spare changes. still don't bathe enough. hate 'em.

Reply to
someone

to be a great ice cream shop on the Drag in Austin. Run by

still gets high and spare changes.

That's not a very groovy attitude!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

"Hey, where's Perry?"

Reply to
Mad Modeller

f*ck hippies.

Reply to
someone

;,

ball

re used

rt.

Ahhh, you probably won't buy that Revell '63 Volkswagen bus either, will you?

Reply to
The Old Man

sure, i could shoot at it.

Reply to
someone

<_eSdna7zCPyO3SjRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com>, vze3z...@veri=
< snipped-for-privacy@y31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com&gt=
< snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net> wrote:

type=3Dcite><pre wrap>On Oct 10, 8:31=3DA0am, eye=

type=3Dcite><blockquote type=3Dcite><pre wrap>The=

great ice cream shop on the Drag in Austin. Run by

lit. Great icecream and toppings and =

shut them down. Ne=

than that, usual bunch of flavors and topping. Just black lit

tried to keep the 60s going way into the mid 70s.

alive and well in the dese=

high and spare changes.

hate 'em.

After filling it with shovels and rakes and implements of destruction.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

The '60s are over?

PD

Reply to
Phonedude

No go buy the knight models in your local hobby shop. And the Famous monsters. And the Seaview. People lie......oh yeah the Arizona and the MIssouri. By Revell. Life is good....Put on some Hermans' Hermits, you'll be ok.

Reply to
frank

Somethin' tells me I'm inta somethin' good - Herman

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Local Hobby Lobby is dumping some of the larger Trumpeter kits, Lexington carrier for $50 or so instead of $139, some other kits that size. Usually if they dump them in one store, its a nationwide thing, looking at the clearance section may be helpful. One or two Tamiya jolly greens I think. huge helo, don't remember. Thing is, these don't show up on their web site, sigh... so I drive 20+ miles to check what is there.

Michaels doesnt' change kits much, I'm not into cars, so can't tell about those. But they do have 40% off coupons on an almost weekly basis. Same with HL.....

Reply to
frank