How many models?

Just getting an estimate here. How many models would it take before your skill is really as good as anyone else who stayed in the hobby for some time?

Reply to
CH4:D

Well that add me to that list. I'm not a competitive type of person. I just like to be have fun doing this. In fact, after having greatly improved in skill especially in the body finish department, I'd say I'm pretty proud of myself for this. Although I admit that my skill in fine detailing leaves a lot to be desired. I use the airbrush whenever I can but that's just child's play. I try to master my skill in using the finer brushes on small parts as much as possible. I still experience paint runs and I still can't get the thinner to paint mixing right yet. :(

Reply to
CH4:D

that's really impossible to answer. for the rivet counters, it could me hundreds, for those like me who consider a model a success if there are no extra pieces left in the box when I am done, it could be 5 kits.

the point is to build how you want to. if you compare what you do to the pros it ain't gonna be much fun.

build for yourself.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Well I don't plan on joining contests sometime in the future but of course, it would be good to have my skill improve as I keep going. :)

Reply to
CH4:D

I dunno...for me, it's not so much a question of quantity as it is of surrounding myself with quality. I know my skills increased when I joined a club that had many more people in it that were better builders than myself, in another town.

I sort of feed off inspiration from others, and my skills had become a bit stagnant within my hometown club. Knew I had bumped it up a notch when one of the guys there repainted his kit (that I thought was killer to begin with) after seeing my example. I still don't quite know how to feel about that...I really liked his first effort. Wish he'd just done another one instead...

Reply to
Rufus

Me too - I like to be surrounded by folks with better skills for inspiration to improve, but I detest contests...even though I took a first in the only one I've ever entered. I just love looking at other people's work. I'd much rather just see display gatherings than contests.

Reply to
Rufus