How to determine mission, markings and, ordinance multi engine AC

I am reposting one from military aviation to emphasize the research on
how to
determine markings and ordinance. I can't help but think non naval
units
would designate torpedo units as opposed to level bombing units. I
would include anti-submarine
units as well as units that launched rockets or had extra machine guns
and cannons
used for strafing. I suppose in the past I always went with what the
governments said about their aircraft. In
some cases it is obvious that the Mosquito was a bomber and a fighter
in different marks. The P-61 Black Widow, big as it was was a
fighter.a SM-79 Sparviero seems to have mostly dropped torpedoes as
did the
Bristol Beaufort. It gets complicated by one country who had a type
may have used it for torpedoes, another may have made a night
fighter.French planes of the Potez type have me stumped. Basically I
am asking
help in sorting these types into their various missions, I mean
primary use, not secondary use as a transport unless relegated to that
role. I believe it is a give that the Japanese used almost anything as
a Kamikaze. In fact it would fill out the picture if any types such as
a Frances or Irving were too valuable to use as kamikazes. Also I know
in the case of Dorniers and Junkers twin engine types they served in
distinctly different units such as level bombing and night fighter.
I think I read that the B-26 Marauder could launch torpedoes. This is
just one example of a multi role plane
It causes me to wonder if this and other twin and three engine types
had different nits and crews for different
missions. I would think the answer is yes. Then I wonder about
distinct codes and unit insignia place on a regular paint job for a
given air force. How could one tell a B-26 that trained to launch
torpedoes. I believe He-111s launched torpedoes. I suppose the number
of multi-use types is bigger than I suppose.
AC
Reply to
Albert
(snip)
Markings rarely indicate the mission. Sometimes, like the Luftwaffe fighters with a crosshairs-on-a-bomber marking, it does happen. But the usual thing is that the markings reflect the place where the unit was stationed or the history of the unit or something like that. Also, you won't find a special "B-26 torpedo squadron" but instead one bomber squadron might be trained to drop torpedoes--but no special markings would be applied. Such markings would be discouraged because it would give valuable information to the enemy. The Enola Gay didn't have a big mushroom cloud with the logo "A-Bomber" painted on it for obvious reasons.
Reply to
dancho
I guess archival material would be necessary about multi mission types. Perhaps that is more precisely what I meant which groups and or squadrons performed muti task missions. Naturally I suppose a Japanese Sally or Helen groups as well as HE-111 German groups or Italian SM-79 and Fiat BR-20 Groups would be much harder to determine multi mission operations than say B-26 Marauders or Bristol Blenheims. Not only is language a barrier, but I suspect operational records are gone for one reason or another. With the Russians it is hard to say what the objective is in their after action reports.
Reply to
Albert