Ju-52 - Only aircraft to use corrugated skin?

Nothing else comes to mind - any advantage to using this type of metal skin?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Well, let's see. The WWI Junkers D.1 and it's derivatives, plus the Junkers F.13 series of early passenger planes. The Ford Tri Motor and probably others that are lesser known. Ol' 45

Reply to
ctpmdavis

More strength and structural integrity while using less material and bracing. The same reasons corrugated card board is corrugated.

Reply to
R. Franklin

A 12, M 21, SR 71 among others.

It was used for increased structural strength.

Reply to
AM

Stout Bushmaster, which was an update of the Tri Motor design. Quite a few small a/c use currugated skin on the control surfaces. Lots of Cessnas & Luscombes use this.

Reply to
famvburg

I think on the Blackbird family it was used more to accommodate thermal expansion at M3 cruising speeds than for outright structural strength.

Reply to
Dave Williams

...and I seem to also recall that it also had the then unexpected effect of reducing the effective wetted surface area of the jet, reducing skin friction and making the plane even faster.

Reply to
Rufus

wheeeee!

Reply to
someone

Musicman59 wrote: : Nothing else comes to mind - any advantage to using this type of metal : skin? : There is also that Budd aircraft sitting at Pima. Anybody remember what it was?

Never saw an aircraft designed by a rail road company before. After seeing that thing, I know why, too. And, no, Bombardier does NOT count!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

The Budd's not corrugated, is it?

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

urden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Reply to
famvburg

Stout, the designer of the Tri-motor, also did a few other planes using the stuff. Also, I believe there was a plane from a company called Hamilton that used the stuff.

This was an attempt at stressed skin construction before folks learned to do stress analysis well enough. The discipline of stress analysis of complex structures was just evolving. Even with the equations, it took a computer to really do the job well, or many thousands of man hours. So folks just overdesigned.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Musicman59 said the following on 08/04/2009 15:34:

Handley Page HP-42. Take one Pullman railway carriage, stick a cockpit, tail assembly and set of wings on it and "all aboard!"

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Having worked on SR 71 wouldn't exactly call it corrugated skin like the Tri motor or the Junkers. same with the M21 on display. There was expansion but wasn't same idea as Tri motor and Junkers.

You look at the Tri Motor and the Junkers, its an airplane that would me fun to fly. or fly in.

I know there were one or two Tri motors flying one on a regular schedule. Any Junkers? anybody know where they are? Tri motor was up in Minnesota somewhere I think. or Michigan.

I think the F-105 was actually built by the Republic Locomotive Works. Ed knows better on this one. Rugged, will say that. Irregardless of the swill on C Span last weekend.

Reply to
frank

Almost exactly 5 years ago I was just on some new meds that were doing my head a bit. I heard a noise and stepped out the back door ( I live near a hospital, there's frequent helicopter activity and if its something unusual I sometimes wander up to take photos), looked up, and breifly through the one hole in the cloud cover this silver JU52 with a black nose and cowlings crawled across the sky. "O.K.," I thought, "That's Uncle Adolfs plane. This shit is making me delusional..." A couple of days later I found Lufthansa's Tante Ju was doing the rounds of the U.K., joyrides available. That was then. EEC regulations now prevent a lot of older aircraft carrying passengers since last year - I know a Dakota was giving it's final rides at Newcastle last year.

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

thnaks for your word about bill. it all worked out.

Reply to
someone

frank wrote: : : I know there were one or two Tri motors flying one on a regular : schedule. Any Junkers? anybody know where they are? Tri motor was up : in Minnesota somewhere I think. or Michigan. : I recall that there was a Ford Tri-motor providing regular passenger service to some islands in Lake Erie. The plane was based in Ohio, perhaps around Toledo?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

urden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Island Airlines, closer to Erie Pennsylvania. I ~think~ (but might be wrong) that they also have a Boeing 247.

Reply to
The Old Man

Tri-motor providing regular

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD Bruce

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD B= ruce Burden =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDAustin, TX.

Not externally, but the B-17 used corrugated aluminum in the inner wing sections, covered by sheet aluminum.

Reply to
biteme

Musicman59 wrote in news:03766d03-fa46-43d7-bb99- snipped-for-privacy@a23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Most if not all PZL fighters had corrugated wingskins. I think one of Curtiss' biplane fighters had corrugated skin on the vertical tail.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller