king tiger secondary armament question, hey cookie!

did production king tiger's normally have a mg on the commander's cuploa? was it a normal add-on? were they used at all? 7.62? tanks.

I am no expert but from what I glean from Tom Jentz the rings were there on all of them but the crew had to attach the mount and MG42.

MG34s and MG42s were 7.92mm caliber, not 7.62mm.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

It was omitted on some tanks - late production, if I recall correctly.

Don't know what the ratio was between the tanks which carried the mounting for the anti-aircraft MG and those which omitted it.

But it definitely came in both flavors.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

The cartridge was the old Mauser 7.92mm, not the NATO standard 7.62. The commander's cupola had a ring for the antiaircraft machine gun. The tank's coaxial MG 34 was dismounted and used as needed, though no doubt some crews acquired an extra gun to make this unnecessary. Late production turrets had a pedestal mounting instead of the ring, but only a few such vehicles were issued, if any, in March 1945 (the Henschel factory was isolated inside the Ruhr Pocket on April Fool's Day, 1945, and was in American hands by mid-month). Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

oops, i meant 92...i have some 62 block. ok, that helps a lot, because if the rings were there, that had to be used considering everyone's penchant for over gunning whenever possible. thanks.

thanks bill. i'm restoring that 70's build i posted before pics of and want the gun. no zimmerit after sept, 44, correct?

yeah, i meant 92. cartus blockus inna cerebellum, it would seem.

No Zimmerit after September, 1944. Changeover occurred during the re- equipping of the 503rd, so they got some with, some without.

Reply to
Gerald Owens

ok, my markings should be fine. thanks

Reply to