Luft code letters coloured outline source and making decals ?

Does anyone know of a source of decal sheets with Luft code letters with coloured outline, e.g. red outline white, black outline yellow etc. Need such to make Luft Bombers individual aircraft letter aft of the cross. All these sheets offering a specific aircraft are useless unless you want to be told effectively which aircraft you will build. Friend is converting the

1/48 Revell Ju88 to an A5 and needs a red H outlined white.

I did see a website a while ago where an individual (Italy based I think) for a set fee was using an Alps printer to create decal sheets from supplied artwork, priced at single shot level, any ideas where this was ? ......anyone got any links etc.

Has anyone run white decal sheet or coloured sheet through a colour laser printer ok or does it wreck the drum etc ? Probably best when first turned on else it may get hot ?

Still left with having to trim around the letters a set distance out to get say a white outlined H of inside colour red. (print red down onto the white)

I dont recall ever seeing Luft code letter sheets for making bombers, how odd and archaic that we Luft bomber modellers are left to try and handpaint or fiddle with deskjets amidst the myriad of schemes offered for 109's etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No, but I may have a solution. Do the outline in boldface and the inside in normal, then apply the inner over the outer. If the outline is white, try printing the outline in "outline" and cut it out of the white decal paper. Try doing a Goggle search for "Luftwaffe fonts". Curt

Curt

There are quite a few people doing this. I think the fine folks at DrawDecal might even do this. They are reknown for their *excellent* airliner decals (although they have quite a few military subjects as well).

(Check out their kick-ass sheet for the C-97/Stratocruiser.)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I'll look in my collection. What size? Microscale/Superscale offered sheets of different lettering for years but they're now out of production. Squadron has what's left. Have you tried looking in the railroad department? Try:

Microscale.com

Past formulations of decal sheet was known for melting in such applications. There are now decal sheet specifially formulated for such use. Hannant's probably has some or try:

Micromark.com

If you download a font and adjust the size appropriately you can use this as a stencil to cut out the decal from a colored sheet. For two colors you'd layer them. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Didja see this elsewhere on the group?

hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I guess you saw Luca Beato's site:

There are more companies doing custom decal printing on Alps or OKI printers. A few that I know from the heart:

In most cases you design your decals in CorelDraw or Illustrator, and they print it for you. Designing decals is absolutely great fun, I learned it last year and I love it! The decal quality is stunning when designed properly.

Perhaps my own decals for a Ar 234 prototype give you an idea how it is done. They are on the website shown below, with some more examples. Designing letters with a colored outline is fairly simple, although I would have to check what RLM colors an Alps or OKI printer can approximate.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Reply to
Steve

Sadly, about 10 years ago Superscale dumped all their backstock with Squadron and quit producing all those alphabet sheets they had previously. I'm glad I got what few I did.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I may have found a pretty large selection of colored Luftwaffe numbers and letters, on a Dutch Ebay-like site:

If you can't find the photo link:

The seller doesn't specify a price, you have to make an offer. I don't recognise the sheets, they appear to be dry-transfers mostly.

I you want a local middle-man, I can help.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie