Matchbox 1/72 AH-1G vs Monogram 1/72 AH-1G Q

I've always read that the Matchbox kit ws just a reboxing of the Monogram 1/72 kit. Well, yesterday I rec'd an old Monogram Huey Cobra Team set. In the box was also a Matchbox AH-1G kit & yet another loose Monogram AH-1G. Well, the kits are not the same. Not even close in sprue layout & breakdown, tho they're both AH-1Gs. Where & how did the tale about the Matchbox & Monogram kits being the same get started?

Reply to
Frank May

Uh, on the internet? :-)

Which side of the tail boom is the tail rotor on the Matchbox kit as compared with the Monogram kit?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Thanks. The reason I ask is that prototype and some pre-production Hueycobras had the tail rotor on the left side.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

So Monogram's is a pre-production version? IIRC their first F-14 kit was based on the mockup.

Reply to
Frank May

All my kits are simular, but more of a c*ck up

Reply to
Julian Hales

The prototype and the inital batches (not just pre-prod) of AH-1Gs had the T/R on the left side. Later production batches had the T/R on the right side, and most earlier A/C were later modified to also have the T/R on the right side.

There also were other smallish detail differences between G-model Cobra batches, like where various antennae, louvers, lights, instrumentation, and panel lines were.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)

Reply to
John Hairell