matchbox privateer

any reason the ebay prices have crashed? they seem to be 1/3 of last months prices.

Must be because I'm getting ready to put my last one up for auction... :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Someone must be getting ready to re-release it ?

Reply to
n329df

Maybe they tightened up the exaggerated shipping costs that sellers used to avoid paying higher eBay fees?

Reply to
Willshak

i got a nice one with cheap shipping for $22. plus 6 to ship. i suggest you hold off, al.

i may just have to build the summabitch.

What? E-bay tighten up their act? More likely someone found a new source for the kit. Maybe a couple thousand found laying about a warehouse?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

e wrote: : any reason the ebay prices have crashed? they seem to be 1/3 : of last months prices. : Look to see who is bidding. I suspect that the people that "just had to have one" now have one, and they are no longer bidding up the prices. Plus, as responses demonstrate, silly prices bring out a supply, which tends to counteract the prices.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I have noticed a trend on ebay that goes like this. One person sell's their item and get's very high top dollar. This prompts every one that has the same model to sell theirs thusly lowering the market value. But we cannot overlook the ridiculous over buyer that pay's 10 times what a kit is worth. And this over prices the market. Things are just fickle. If any one remembers the over pricing on the Naval institute press Yamato book that was selling for over 100.00 and shortly re-released for 29.95 just my two cents cheers John Geigle

masterpiecemodels

e wrote: > any reason the ebay prices have crashed? they seem to be 1/3 > of last months prices. I have noticed a trend on ebay that goes like this. One person sell's their item and get's very high top dollar. This prompts every one that has the same model to sell theirs thusly lowering the market value. But we cannot overlook the ridiculous over buyer that pay's 10 times what a kit is worth. And this over prices the market. Things are just fickle. If any one remembers the over pricing on the Naval institute press Yamato book that was selling for over 100.00 and shortly re-released for 29.95 just my two cents cheers John Geigle

masterpiecemodels

ok, but the privateer had been stable around 60 bucks for a while.

Ebay is a strange animal, I bought a 1/4th scale naboo fighter display from the local fred meyer that was selling on ebay for 500.00+ when I listed mine I got 250.00 it seems that when there is a glut in the market prices go down. a good example is the Revell 1/32 tony and Raiden kits they sold for 100+ for a long time the prices went down when everyone decided to sell theirs.

Reply to
masterpiecemodels

Which is why I push an item like that to the back of the shelf for a time. I can always put it on later and hope someone wants it badly enough.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Darn, I got way less than that when I sold mine. Obviously prices plateaued sometime afterwards.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill, actually they just added a feature where you can report excessive shipping. I ran across this about a month or so ago. I won a Polar Lights Godzilla kit for a whopping $1.55 (many had been selling for $15-20 at the time). The seller advertized shipping via parcel post. I asked how heay the kit was and he estimated about a pound and a half. I have the Polar Lights King Kong and came up with the same weight. I used the USPS.com calculator and figured the shipping would be $3 and change. The seller was 180 miles from me.

I bid on the auction and won it. The seller then sent me an invoice for $16+ for shipping with about an $18 total. I told him he was insane and for $16 shipping parcel post. After I got no where with the seller via e-mail, I sent the $1.55 via PayPal and reported him using the excessive shipping charge feature. That way I was only out $1.55 but he could never claim I did not pay him promptly for the kit.

He told me I still needed to pay for shipping. I said I know and sent him a link to the excessive shipping FAQ. The first example of excessive shipping was very similar to his scheme. There was some official eBay e-mail to him and I ended up paying $6 shipping.

Reply to
RobG

Reply to
Andrew M

so what's it like to build the privateer?

has anyone actually built one?

a long time ago. it would not be a bad kit if the upper turrets were replaced with better ones, along with the glass. The biggest problem was sinking in the areas where the windows could be cut out for the cargo version and the HUGE panels for the side turrets. If I was to build another I would cut open all the window openings, install the windows and them putty them over. Cobra Company makes a nice resin set that replaces all the engines, props, nacells, and cowls, along with turrets and side panels.

anyone know who has the molds for it now ?

Reply to
n329df

Happened to me with an old Dreamcast game. I bid $2 and won it for one cent, with $18.55 postage. A cd case, from Ontario to Michigan. So I told him I'd send him a Canadian penny and he could keep his stuff.. No reply, or he'd have gotten another offer: 2 Canadian cents, and he could . . . .

Reply to
tomcervo