Memphis belle Aircraft Commander Passing

Well, we pretty much liked your language and common law. That must count for *something*.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Digital Cowboy

Of course I can.

I've worked in a juvenile detention center. I know exactly how dangerous a 13 year old can be....

Correct, except for that last bit. It's not what I 'think' is unlawful, it's what I *know* is unlawful.

And just how moral would it be for me to let an intruder rape or kill my wife while I waited for the police to show up?

If you took the trouble to visit my website you could learn a lot more about me, including the fact that I build things other than military aircraft.

On that we agree!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

At least we've got something in common..

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Actually, it's a tradition over here. If you don't want to shoot someone for breaking into your home, you don't have to own a gun. I don't.

I do own a very handy prybar I keep under the bed and within reach from my side. Unless the intruder has a gun, the prybar ought to trump his weapon. No, I don't keep the thing in reach because of home intrusion--we live in earthquake country, and one needs a way to break OUT of the house if all the windows and doors get jammed. Still, if any aborigines break into my house, I'll be happy to rearrange their skull bones with the prybar, providing they're not smart enough to run away. In the meantime, I've never heard of a loaded prybar going off accidentally, and a hand gun is a damn poor tool for breaking out of a house.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

hmm, now that i'm in earthquake turf too, it might be time to put my bar under the bed. good one, mark.

Sounds familiar. A bunch of years ago, I had the misfortune to live around the corner from a sports-bar that catered to the college crowd. After numerous "incidents" with the less-than-sober clientele, I borrowed my son's tee-ball bat and kept it handy. One night, staying up late to do some work in the basement, I heard some people on my front porch when I came upstairs to get ready for bed. I called 911 and then got the bat. After a few minutes of no cops (said bar, I later found out was owned by a city court judge and generally "exempt" from nusance calls) I went out onto the porch. This porch was "L" shaped with a door at the side of the house in addition to the front door and entrance steps. As I got to the corner of the house, I found the couple that had made the noise. I rattled the bat on the porch railing and gave a good ol' rebel yell. Caught the guy on the downstroke. Man, I never saw anyone get up so fast and run in my life. And he ran down the street into the arms of the cops who finally showed up. And had to explain why he wasn't wearing pants. The cops escourted the young "lady" home to her parents. The "gentleman" found out that he was in trouble because she was sixteen. The bar found out that IT was in trouble because she was legally drunk. I wound up moving about six months later to a quieter neighborhood....

The Old Timer

re: passports for congressmen. Having been an aide-de-camp and having escorted both types, I assure you that they do indeed need and use passports (no fee, diplomatic red passports), even on US Military flights. Same deal for soldiers. Junkets are closely controlled and scrutenized. They also have horseholders like me watching every move they make to keep them out of trouble. Reason...my General told me to. Most are very professional and courteous. Some are pricks. Those guys get to eat at the bad places, good guys get to go to our favorites. Hugh Mills

Reply to
HMills16

"HMills16" wrote

Red is just "official business", without diplomatic privileges. Diplo books are black.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Yeah! Red marks you as a U.S. Government employee instead of a harmless tourist. We used to love that fact no end! :-(

Bill Shuey Ret'd D.o.D.

Reply to
William H. Shuey

As I remember it the person who did that was an "escaped" mental patient who's wealthy family kept him out. What we need is to keep the mental patients in institutions but Ron Reagan totalled that over here.

Ducking,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Wow !! good thing you DONT own firearms !!

Supremeacy ? I get a feeling of ability, and learning, and pride in being able to shoot well. Having a firearm is not what makes me superior to others at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know nothing about hunting if thats what you think/feel about it !! Hunting is a respect for wildlife, and an understanding and heritage of our past. Done ethically, and properly a sport that is challanging, and puts food on the table as a bonus :) True hunting is ethically harvesting game for the table. (IMHO)

Azzz1588

Same here in VA..............

IF.... you make it past our two Borzoi, than by all means you are fair game...........

Azzz1588

10 mm Automatic right next to my pillow.

BTW, what does it matter to you at all even ???????

Azzz1588

My wife has always had vision problems, much better since she was a child.

When she first started target shooting with me she couldn't believe that she could hit the target at all with an automatic. When she switched to the rifle she was grouping five out of seven in the three inch center at fifty yards, four out of seven at a hundred yards.

She has her own rifle now and continues to do well. Let's not get into my accuracy :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I have bought my wife a S&W hammerless and a Glock .40. I refuse to buy her ammo!

Me, I use a pellet gun on the woodpeckers. Only close enough to hack them off! Damned cedar siding!

Oxmoron1 MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

Sorry, your Keeper-ness, but that trend started a looooong time before Reagan. I worked in health care for thirty-five years and that trend was in place almost as soon as I began - just about the time that the new medications were coming out (mid- to late-sixties).

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

i wonder if getting back in will help me steady my hands? it's kind of a problem wrenching and modeling.

I have developed a condition in both hands where a couple of fingers lock in a closed position when clenching. My index (trigger) finger is not affected.

That makes pulling back the slide of an automatic difficult. I'm looking at a couple of revolvers. Sure wish that I still had my Civil War Navy Colt. I guess the long process of loading and tamping would be worse, but it certainly was fun.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I'm a member of the North-South Skirmish Association. We shoot competition with the weapons of the American Civil War, black powder only. One team's best carbine team shooter is the team commander's Mother in Law. She won't try to shoot a long rifle, but she is hell on roller-skates with a Smith Carbine. And do we ever remind the team captain about it! :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey