Micromark sale

Just got this in my mailbox; I like these guys:

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

So does my credit card issuer... I just left a big chunk of change with Micro-Mark last week.

That seems to be the same sale which started few months back - but only few days left. Make sure to check their standard printed catalog - some of the "SALE" prices aren't much of a bargain while others are.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I see they don't sell Tenax anymore ,whats the deal there ? Proweld now instead.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Dunno... I've been using Ambroid Proweld for years now. Tenax is too hot; it's hard to control and evaporates in the bottle!

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

ProWeld is better IMHO......

Reply to
AM

I keep mine in my fridge ,that prevents it from evaporating .I buy 12 bottles at a time. I use Micromarks' applicator to apply it. Tenax rocks.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

tenax works really well for osmosis. period.

Congratulations, mine didn't seem to glue anything and the rest just evapourated. I'll buy ProWeld anytime but I've never gone for another bottle of Tenax.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

While I might be wrong (and I'm not near my workbench), I think that both Tenax and ProWeld are identical. I think both are just straight Methylene Chloride. At least they have the same odor. And per ounce, ProWeld is cheaper.

I used to buy Methylene Chloride in quart containers from Cadillac Plastic (as Acrylic adhesive). It was so much cheaper that Tenax!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Isn't Methylene Chloride the same as aircraft stripper? Maybe they are similar, but of different strengths. Honestly, I don't really know.

All I know from experience is that Tenax is a little harder to apply because a) it evaporates too quickly if used in small amounts and b) is too aggressive if used in large amounts. Will deform the plastic a lot. So it's harder to balance. Also, Tenax 7R will evaporate from a sealed container, whereas Proweld from Ambroid will not.

What I'd seen with my own eyes.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

I agree about ProWeld vs. Tenax.

The group turned me onto ProWeld a year ago and I'll never go back. I also find Tenax to be too hot. If I had to work a joint after applying Tenax I ended up with bubbles in the seams that showed up as I sanded the seam.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Methylene Chloride is one of several chemicals on Aircraft Stripper. I have to visit my workbench and start some quick sniff tests as Methylene Chloride has a very distinctive odor. And Tenax doesn't list its ingredients (Proweld does). But Proweld might also have other (unlisted) ingredients in it which slow down the evaporation.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I just did a quick sniff test. While both have very similar smell, there is a difference. I suspect that Tenax is straight Methylene Chloride while Proweld might have something added.

But this is only my "nose analysis" (no, I didn't inhale). To find out for sure we would need some seriously expensive lab equipment to analyze them.

Now, I just need to get rid of this nasty headache..... :-) Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I *love* the smell of liquid cement in the morning... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Nope, just request an MSDS and you'll know everything that's in it.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Good idea. I don't suppose the would list some of the ingredients as "proprietary/trade secret", eh? Probably not.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Actually, it would - but not under the trade name. The purpose of the MSDS is to alert the user/hazmat team as to what you're dealing with and any known or possible health and special handling instructions.

Reply to
Ken Gray

What I meant is that some products list certain ingredients as "trade secret" while giving no clue ot their chemiocal composition. They tell you to go to some trade secret registry to get more health/special handling information on those. So, if this was the case with Tenax or Proweld, it woudln't be very helpful to us in determining their composition.

But I suspect that neither of those cements contains any proprietary components. Yey, I'm not curious enough to request those MSDSs.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I googled both; Tenax 7R has a comprehensive online MSDS. Ambroid Pro-Weld didn't google along with MSDS.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Yeah, and Tenax 7R is METHYLENE CHLORIDE (98-100%) according to MSDS. Just as my smell-o-meter predicted... :-) Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.