monogram 1/48 he 111

you guys know i like this ac, so after "practice" building 3 lindberg, a airfix, matchbox and uh, i forgot, i'm ready for the biggie. any caveats, must have's or really cool decal sheets? tanks,

-e

Eduard...etch-fan. Interior (now in color), exterior, bomb bay. the bomb bay is a really cool looking piece of structure, IMO...though I like the torpedo bomber as illustrated on the ProModeler box.

Both Superscale and Aeromaster have some decal sheets out there, as I recall. I'm still looking for a scheme for mine. I have a couple sets of decals, but I still really like the OOB scheme with the white nacelles, so I may just go for that...for a change. I'll probably make up the decal set from other sources, though. Hate those Monogram decals.

Reply to
Rufus

hey, did i see that? sure don't remember, but thanks for the refs...you've turned me into a pe monster. i'm still not real good at it, but it seems to be like vac-form canopies. once you cut one right and see it, it's nailed. and pre colored parts? wowsers! so about $80 worth of after market for a $18 kit? seems about right. a cool bomb bay is the way to go...

Yeah...I'm going broker buying up the sets for the 1/32 Avenger at the moment. The interior set is WAY cool - tons of brass structure for the bomb bay there. And for the radio compartment and such.

I think the most I've ever gone is for all five sets for the Academy Hornet...

Reply to
Rufus

a big ed set or your own?

Got each set one by one. I haven't caught on to using pre-cut masks yet. So I just get the etch sets.

Reply to
Rufus

The Aires cockpit set (with resin & PE) is v ery nice, too.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

having seen your art, it appears quite successful. still haven't started my pby, damn thing still scares me. did you say there is a canopy mask set? black box?

i do like aries. hope i can track one down.

I'm sure there's one out there, but I don't use them so I'm not up on them. I masked my -5 with Scotch tape.

Reply to
Rufus

i need help on canopies. a little too much palsy in the old hands...yours looks wicked pissah. yours is why mine won't be a cop out black cat. too easy a paint scheme.

Thanks. I really like that sub-chaser scheme and I have a whole series of them planned ranging from the -5 Cat to Avenger to SBD to Helldiver to Wildcat.

Which reminds me...I still haven't made up my mind on a scheme for my -5A...

Reply to
Rufus

sounds like my faa fleet in the works. not all of them, just the active service 1939-1945. even that is a lot!

what is the cure for this? cut and refit? new chunk? and while we're there, how is the nose glass? i ordered the masks today, so i have ny fingers crossed. well, with this dam arthritis, i think i do.

IIRC the nose glass also serves as the front fuselage section. It is all a single clear piece that one paints where necessary.

As far as a fix is concerned, judicious sanding and filling are required.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

i like the idea it's one piece. the lindberg and airfix are

2 pieces and i'm not skilled enough to hide a join like that.

in article dOaMe.203464$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.news.easynews.com, e at snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote on 8/15/05 7:53 PM:

Here's a couple of other products nobody's mentioned (AFAIK):

  1. True Details makes (made?) a resin cockpit detail set, no. 48458. Looks like pretty typical TD. Nice looking seat with much better seatbelt detail than the kit's.

  1. Koster Aero Enterprises (Bill Koster) put out a comprehensive mixed-media detail set with clear vacuform parts for gondola front and rear, dorsal enclosure, nose sphere, pilot windscreen, pilot and crew hatches; white vac parts for nose shell ejection fairing, bombadier pad, special ordnance carrier plate, cargo containers, engine nacelles for 111P; and a bunch of various MGs, cannon and ammo drums in white metal. The set allows you to build P-2, 4 or 6, and H-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 11 or 14 variants.

Greatmodels.com sell the Koster set for $21.95 USD:

Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

Yeah - second the True Details set. Well worth the nice TD price. I didn't use the panel (the kit one is crisper, IMO) but the seats and sidewall details from it are well worth adding.

Reply to
Rufus