More e-Bay Madness

Guys, I think I'll throw up.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Damn, is that thing extremely rare, or are people just that gullible?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

cheapest privateer i've seen in 6 months went for $36. there does seem to be a lot of them.

I'm not up on 1/32 but IIRC, the kit hasn't been released for very long time and the moulds may/do not exist.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

FWIW This is one of the Revell, Japan molds that were lost in a ship wreck according to popular rumor. Whatever the reason, this kit, the Kawasaki Ki-61, Mitsubishi "Jack" and the Nakajima Ki-43 haven't seen the light of hobby shop shelves for many moons.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Speaking of E-bay, they seem to have stopped responding to Netscape 4.7. I tried to get on today (Sunday) and couldn't get more than their logo when using Netscape. I had to go to IE (euikk!) to get anything listed. Funny how 'easy' it was when I've been tearing my hair (not literally) out for the past couple of months trying to get my pictures to load.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Quite true according to the gent from Monogram who was in charge of it.I've yet to get confirmation on where the ship sank but it doesn't matter; they're gone along with the Ginga, Hellen, and Sally. Fortunately, Hasegawa fixed the last three. Wish I had a couple of Georges (and Tonys and Jacks...) Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

It must be worth that to the person who bought it.

For that reason, I can never understand people who complain about the high prices kits sell for on ebay.

Dave Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Has anyone got a list of all the moulds lost at sea? There seem to be a lot of them...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

Dave,

Thanks for the economics and psychology primer. The "value" of something is established when a willing and informed buyer and a willing and informed seller agree to terms on a transaction. While both parties in an e-Bay auction are probably willing, I doubt the buyer was informed.

Over the past few years the kit has sold for $120-$150. I hate to see people get carried away in the heat of these auctions.

Besides serving to express my personal opinions, my post also serves to let members of the group know there may be a shift in kit values. In the particular case I cited, maybe that's true, maybe not. IMO I think not.

I remember four years ago when a Monogram 1/48 Zero sold for $40 on e-Bay. The same kit was on the local hobby shop shelves for $8. I had one that we used as a joke at swap meets. The last person who touched the kit *had* to take it. It bounced around from owner to owner for two years. We used to throw it at friends without warning. When they reflexively put their hands up to protect themselves, they touched the kit. Presto! They became the new proud owner.

BTW, Where did you see a complaint in my post? I was simply bringing attention to a quantum leap in prices for an item. I have three of the kits. I'd be tickled to death if they are worth that amount.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

The rumour is that at least three 1:32 scale Revell Japan is lost somewhere, their Jack (Nice kit I built one), Tony (Also nice kit - I want to build one, but affordable) and George "Midwing version", I would like one of those as well, it would do nicely next to my Doyusha Lowwing George. But no way I'm going to pay prices like the George on E-Bay, but then if someone does, it's his (or her) choice.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I can't say enough good things about Mozilla's Firefox. It is the BEST, in my opinion (which I hold in high esteem). I have basically stopped using IE and all its misfortunes (except when actually in AOL).

Reply to
SamVanga

That story and Revell go all the way back to the Gowland molds era. Those horse-drawn firetrucks supposedly were lost in the same way around 1958 or so.

The Old Timer

No, those were the Aurora molds. They were in a trailer car that fell over during it's trip from New York to Illinois. Ostensibly this occurred at a siding not an actual train wreck but I'd love to see some documentation either way. A few of the molds were damaged beyond repair but most were usable. Unfortunately, Revellogram has found any re-issue program unprofitable and leased rights to Polar Lights.

The Takara molds from Japan were being transported from Kikoler in Brazil and Necomisa in Mexico to Monogram, Illinois. This is according to the gent from Monogram I talked to in Chicago in 2001, I believe his name was Tony. I heard other people say that the ship sunk in the Orient, according to Tony's elucidation it should be in the Carribean. I'll be asking more questions at this years Nationals. hth

Self appointed rumour queller The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

The moulds definitely went to Brasil. I built a set for a fireman once and the boxes and instructions were in Portuguese.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I don't know where but some of the Aurora moulds were lost that way on their way to Monogram. Then Monogram scrapped a large amount of the rest when they got there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hmmm. With all the accidents that seem to happen to these molds in transport from one maker to another, remind me never to sail on a ship, ride on a train, or fly in an airplane that's transporting any model molds about. ;~)

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

i use the 98 lite loader and skip ie, oe and all the microcrap net garbage. firefox rules. it's idiot proof and spam free.

I had never heard of it before reading an article a few weeks ago with Bill Gates/MS v. Firefox. I figured anything that puts Bill Gates' panties in a wad must be worth a look. I've been running Firefox for about a week now and so far no problems. It looks and feels like MSIE (for the most part) which makes it easier for me to migrate towards. I've tried other browsers and while I'm sure most were good and had their points, I've become so used to running IE and Outlook Express, the old fart's gene prevents me from warming up to anything that is drastically different. Firefox is close enough for government work - it's a keeper.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

As far as I know there were these molds from Takara (Revell Japan.)

George Tony Jack

Helen Sally Ginga Nick Gekko

Takara also made some airliners but I haven't discerned whether they were lost as well. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper