My 2nd Kit

Gosh, I haven't posted in quite a long long time! :o My regards to the regulars I know: Shuey, Mad Modeller and Al. ;)

Not exactly award-winning but it's a hug improvment from my first one. ;) I love the bright red finish on this kit. I now understand the importance of patience in this hobby. On my first kit I couldn't wait to apply the follow up coats. This kit was slowly, surely and meticulously applied with car. Although I admit there are parts not so good it's better than an overly thick paint. Some of the inside though were a little less than satifactorily painted.

Here's the link:

Some concerns with the kit though. It's a Revell Dale Earnhardt Jr Monte Carlo Nascar kit. Bought it 2yrs ago in Hobbytown Lexington, Kentucky. Guys, this was the same kit I told you about last year that had molds on the number 8 decals on the roof. It's not so noticeable in the pictures but there is a faint dark shade there where the mold grew. Also, I had a hard time applying the decals because the adhesives on it either melted onto the paper or just plainly dried up. Not only that, the 8 on the side of the car was a little too long for the actual width of the area. I had to trim it a bit. Some of the decals and numbers actually differed from the instructions. :(

Does Revel come with a wax paper put over the decals to prevent it from sticking anywhere else in the box? My next project is a Fast & The Furious Toyota Supra from ERTL. The decals that came with it was covered with a wax paper to keep it from sticking anywhere else. The decals are still in it's shiny new form and I even bought this along that nascar kit. But revel's decals started drying up and got molds in roughly just 6 months after I bought it.

Reply to
CH4:D

I know Bill Gates?? Why am I so poor? ;-p

Looks pretty good to me!

Mold?? How old was that kit and where was it stored?

Whatever caused the mold (!) also caused these problems.

Revell has started putting a protective film over the decals lately. I don't like this idea since in my experience this stuff just winds up sticking to the decal sheet eventually.

If you really want to protect the decals get rid of that 'wax paper' and put them in a Ziploc bag instead.

They must have gotten damp somewhere along the line.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm asking myself that same question too, Al. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't show you my first work. I'll just be makin an a$$ out of myself. I painted what I can and salvaged what I could with that kit. Paint job looked like sh*t literally! :(

Well this kit doesn't have that much decals - only 4 designs - as opposed to tall the flashy decals of the NASCAR kit. I'm not concerned over this though. I do recall moving the NASCAR kit down to my workshop which gets damp in there when it rains. I think thats where the mold started setting it. However, the "melting" of the decals onto the manual happened while it was still in my room. It was cool and dry in there. If the cabinet was the issue then the ERTL kit's decal would have melted as well but it didn't. In fact, the ERTL kit was still clean. The decals are as new. I don't think it will stick to the wax paper since it's surface is not something anything can stick onto. I believe in its fresh form the adhesive is still in it's "sticky" state. When the nascar's decals was inserted in to the manual it think the paper absorbed the decal's "stickyness". Of course, we all know that decals in their new state is sticky in the back AND front of it. Nothing should touch it either way. Oh well. Charge to experience I guess. I can keep this wax paper for future use thought. ;)

Reply to
CH4:D