name a crappier kob

than stripping 20 coates of paint off a motorcycle gas tank. i had intended to redo my 1969 tr6r 650cc bike in a nmf. i figured the tin all nice and clean would look good on a black frame. so of course, 20 layers down i found a huge patch of filler. bye bye nmf. i shoulda sanded it smooth and tossed on more paint. one of my fan club bought me the correct colors for big money. bur noooooooooooooo, i had to be different. frassa rassa frassan rassafrass. should i pull the filler or cut my loses? i consider a bike a big model. one that you have to do your best work on because of the scale.

Mo' putty, bro...then paint.

Reply to
Rufus

yeah, i think i can get by with spotting putty. the patch was well done. i just really wanted a nmf tin set. never seen one done. chrome yes, nmf, no. hope to have it on the road in a month. much as i love the thumpers, the sound of a triumphs sausages is the best.

i looked inside the tank and it's a real dent. no real way to get rid of it. strait, used tanks are over $300. everybody dented them. you can take a tank apart, beat it out and reweld it, but that's also big money.

You're a modeller - simulated natural metal finish! Paint on some rivets just for S&Gs. And don't forget the anti-glare black on the topside of the tank. If NMF (real or fake) beams the sun back at you like the chrome trim on my hog's tanks does - you'll thank me later.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

hmmm, maybe.

I've seen each - a guy here in town has an all-chrome vintage Harley parade bike, and I've also seen some with natural brushed metal tanks; like spot facing. I've also seen some with a "rust" treatment on portions of the spot facing. Really neat looking if it's not over done.

Reply to
Rufus

i built an o.s sr for a guy, so maybe a raf hack would work. it really is too modern, i mean the speed twin just barely existed, but it would be cool. or maybe a bike with tim covered completely in model decals. i found the original factory paint under it all, and it is damn nice, green and gold....stripes. vintage bikes are another obsession like kits and coins.

Green and black with gold pinstipes is very nice.

Reply to
Rufus

Find a body shops who has a "hammer dent puller". If they can spot weld to your tank, they should be able to pull out any minor dent and fix your tank.

HTH, cheers R.

Reply to
John Smith

i'm very familiar with tin work. i have a dent puller. the problem is welding. 90% of the shops won't work on gas tanks or motorcycles and the rest want more money than a used tank. the dent is actually a v shaped crease from falling on something. i have it patched and i think i have a nmf paint that will match the bare fenders. if none of this works, i will spray it with the factory colors and go for the full resto piecemeal. the point is to ride this season. i may buy a gas welder next time harbor frieght has a 110 volt on sale. thanks for the ideas, though.