Need Eye Protection from Super Glue fumes

Long story short: When they say super glue is an extreme eye irritant, I assumed they meant don't get the actual stuff in your eye. Little
did I realize the fumes are just as bad! Not a fun experience.
Anyway, before I will even consider using this stuff again, I want some eye protection. The problem I am having is that all the goggles I see have air holes--this would probably make things worse by concentrating it. Some say something like "indirect ventilation"--not sure how that would work.
What I want is eye protection that would seal the eyes from the fumes--so they can't have any vents.
Any suggestions?
thanks, John Ross

An NBC suit, or Swimming goggles?
Try either opening a window or turning on a fan, to blow the fumes away. Or stop using etch and resin. :)
RobG

Beter yet, walk outside and do your superglue work outside in the fresh air!
Any old model box that opens up and off and leaves you with two trays to work from, a couple of weights, rocks work well to hold them down when the wind blows, a park seat and bench, a nice day! What more could you want?
Just take the bits you need for that session, CA dries pretty quick and assemblies can be transported back inside when it's done.
Hope this helps, Peter
Plastic modelling is obviously more acceptable in Australia.
I'm certain if anyone was seen building a model kit in a UK park they would be in for some really serious piss taking.
Cheers,
Nigel

air!
Bushy seems to be from one of our 'Institutes of Higher Learning'. Maybe it's acceptable there, but in view of the general public, it's not. Kinda like some of the more 'personal' activities.. ;)
RobG

away.
the
Heh, even in private view one is open to jibes from the spouse... At the park I'd imagine there is the rogue football/cricket ball scenario as well...;-)
Mitch

fresh
want?
and
I have to agree...up to the "stop using etch and resin" point...
A little cross ventilation is really all you need. If you did manage to find a set of goggles that completely sealed your eyeballs, you'd probably find that the natural moisture from your eyes would fog them over anyway.
Opening a window is the best solution. Also - if you're getting so many fumes that they are seriously irritating your eyes you are probably applying too much CA. Try using a bit less.
--
- Rufus

Rob Grinberg wrote:
Why not try one of the odourless CA's?
Use Odorless superglue and you will not have fume problems. Brian Boot

John Ross wrote:

SCUBA Mask?
Bill Banaszak, MFE

scuba! scuba! scuba girl can i scuba with you? -rezillos
there ya go bill, putting a buck in the jukebox from hell.
As previously suggested, a snorkeling mask or cheap Speedo googles available at Toysrus and elsewhere should do the trick. There's anti-fog coatings available at hardware and drugstores that will keep them from fogging if you're doing long term gluing projects. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Keeper wrote:

So that you get to suck the fumes directly into your lungs instead of getting them in your eyes?..
Just open a window!
--
- Rufus

That works for me but some folks are sensitive to the stuff. If you invest in a full face respirator you can use it for glue and painting including MEK. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Keeper wrote:

A respirator is one thing, a snorkel is another...I know how it stings even MY sinuses getting a snoot-full. I could only imagine getting a lung-full!
--
- Rufus