OT: Anybody have extra Marlboro Miles?

Title says it all. For those of you who aren't familiar these are the "FIVE MILES" and color flash printed above the UPC on packs of American Marlboros. People collect the Miles and redeem them plus S&H fees for premium items such as watches, camping gear and so on. (if it doesn't have the above by the UPC code, it doesn't count toward redeeming for items; see below.)

I don't smoke, but a relative does and collects the Miles, and I am involved because I have contributed a great deal of Miles over the years with the packs I find on the street, outside office buildings etc. We can usually get together enough Miles for an order to get something for each of us.

But this is the last year for the Miles, and the campaign doesn't end until the end of September but the Miles have already been taken off the pack UPCs! We're trying desperately to complete an order but we're a couple hundred Miles short for what we want to order, and with the Miles already gone from the packs I don't know if we'll make it by the end of September.

So if you've already mailed in your order and have a few Miles left over and didn't know what to do with them, now's your chance. If you have a LOT left over maybe you'd like something in trade from my disposal list!

If you can help, please contact me directly by email address below. Thanks!

Reply to
MJ Rudy

I'd be glad to help if I could but I don't smoke Marlboros. I smoke el cheapo Grand Prixs (a whopping $14.50 a carton at the Camp Robinson National Guard Canteen).

That said, one of the managers at the Canteen lets me use any coupons I can get, the only restrictions being that they have to be for major brand names and not limited to redemption in a specific store. I'm always on the lookout for more coupons - if anybody has or gets any they don't use I'd sure appreciate getting them from you!

And, please - no anti-smoking lectures. I've heard them all before...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

You and me both..........too bad I smoke Camel Light Wides.........no miles or coupons.

Reply to
Ron Smith

I don't know about Marlboro Miles but I am old enough to remember S&H Green stamps. I also remember the Raleigh coupons my mom and dad used to collect. ;~)

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Reply to
Ron Smith

Ron Smith wrote in news:semdnViMrK1JtzfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

And I've taken up cigars. I love the disapproving looks.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Reply to
eyeball

You must get ecstatic when some vomit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller wrote in news:44AC1546.E0CE7E85 @nextline.com:

Generally speaking I currently go out of my way and when I smoked igarettes went out of my to be courteous to people who did not want to breathe my smoke. I prefer to irritate the "I'll tell you what's good for you and make you do it whether you want to or not" crowd. Thry irritate so easily it's almost not sporting.

I know it's "not good for my health". In a way it's why I switched to cigars. I smoke far less than I used to, and seem to get much more pleasure when I do. Many things in life are "bad for you" but fun.

Life is short.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Well, heck, as long as you're polite. I wouldn't presume to tell other adults what's good for them. I just hate getting caught somewhere where there isn't a clean bit of air for me to breathe. I tear up and my nose starts running in situations like that. As far as cigars go, I've never understood what pleasure is found in smoking something akin to dog turds. I hated those things when I was a kid and my attitude hasn't improved with age. :}

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Good on you Frank, you have my respect. Over here in Japan it is almost impossible to move for any appreciable distance around the city (say, 100m) without breathing in someone's cigarette fumes. Terrible when trying to exercise along the river bank, for instance. That said, when people smoke in restricted areas, such as on a train station platform, they are very polite and apologetic when asked to stop. As soon as laws to regulate smoking in public places further come into force, the populace will no doubt go along with these easily. There are spaces for smokers in public buildings and on campuses, and as with most other things the philosophy of being able to puff away at will is not backed up by strong individual commitment here.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Washington State has passed one of the strictest anti-smoking laws in the country. It passed overwhelmingly. I'm not a smoker, but there are aspects of the law that strike me as a bit kooky. For example, you cannot smoke within 25 feet of any publicly accessed building. There are parts of Seattle that you simply *can't* get 25 feet from everything. Then the whole issue of walking down the sidewalk while smoking is illicit. Shades of gum-chewing ordinances in Singapore...too much.

Well, there have been remarkably few complaints, and enforcement is mostly done by non-smokers. The 25 foot rule is generally ignored, unless the smoke wafts in somewhere. It just requires a tactful reminder, and the smokers go where the smoke doesn't go into the window/door etc. Usually it's finding a favorable breeze that works.

--- Stephen

(in short, no I don't have any marlboro miles)

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

I have two complete collections of cigarette picture cards from Capstan Navy Cut cigarettes my grand father collected post WWII , all scenes of WWII action.

I have always smoked Camel cigarettes ,plain and filtered , but Camel are made in Germany now and are not the same as the RJReynolds "Camels" that we used to get here imported into Oz from the US. Used to be said that Camel were the only cigarette that came with a picture of the factory on the pack.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

what kind of idiot has a raging forest fire two inches from his nose? (g)

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb3.seikyou.ne.jp:

I generally confine it to my car or truck, occasionally in the outdoor smoking area of the Starbucks across the street from work, in my back yard on the deck or sometimes in my workshop downstairs. Every once and again in the family room when we have a fire going (in the winter obviously).

I can apprectiate not wanting to smell other's smoke. After i quit cigs I could barely stand to be around other smokers.

The cigars were actually my wife's idea. Her dad passed before we were married and she misses hime terribly. He used to smoke cigars and she has pleasant mempries associated with the smell.

Cigars aren't like cigarettes. The chemicals in cig tobacco really affect what is already commercial grade tobacco for mass consumption. Cigars really do smell and taste differently lit or unlit. I've settled on CAO brand cigarillos Moontrance or the Madagascar vanilla flavors. They are sweet and smooth with just enough bite. The fella at the cigar store told me they are about the smallest that are still considered cigars. Slender and maybe 5" long, 10 to a tin.

I understands if folks don't want to smell it, so I keep it to myself. I have so few vices left I consider it my guilty pleasure. It feels very Old World.

Since you're in Japan, I was listening in on a conversation last night at the club meeting. One guy was saying that when he was in Japan there was very little signage in English. But I found a site that listed many commercial signs in badly fractured English some of which translated rather smuttily. What's you experience been like.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Sounds like you've found

Even I contributed few examples from my trip to Japan last year. This stuff is quite amusing! And those "phrases" are quite common there.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

"Peter W." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

That would be it. I lost all my favorites in a minor disk disaster a bit ago. Thanks!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Sorry, missed your post among the noise, Frank! Yup, engrish.com shows it like it is (or was, in some cases, since the apperances in Japan change rapidly due to the competitiveness and need to survive).

We're all familiar with the terrible translations in model packagings from the past, and things are similar on the internet -- hotels set up webpages using trnaslation software or some poor sucker who passes certain government-regulated english tests, making him highly sought-after in Japan. Then you get stuff like "young lady eager to service you" on a traditional hotel (ryokan) website, making it a sure choice :-) The English sign on my fairly substantial institute building entrance had a spelling error for 4 months and nobody noticed until I happened to take the main entrance one day. But T-shirts are the BEST!!!!

There is nothing better to cheer up one's day than to see pretty young Japanese girls walking around with T-shirts saying things like:

"Strawberry flavoured"

"Whipped and fluffy"

"Today's my day to be chained"

"Have to looked closely yet?" (sic)

"Below interesting more Above" (sic)

"CLIMAX!"

"Two friends"

and so on :lol:

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

I think I'll take a "Whipped and Fluffy". ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller