OT: Book on the Falklands War?

Is there a good read on this war? (from the British point of view)

thx - Craig

Reply to
Craig

The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings & Simon Jenkins

look itn up in amazon.com

HTH

JDQ

Reply to
PPT_Ranger

and for a world war 1 brits in the falklands, colonel and the falklands is great.

Martin Middlebrook writes the best book on any topic he choses. He wrote "Operation Corporate" from the British pov, and then went to Argentina, interviewed vets there and wrote a fair account, "The Fight for the Malvinas"

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Might be out of print but "Don't cry for me, Sergeant-Major" by Robert McGowan and Jeremy Hands (pre-owned copies available from the UK Amazon site), is a collection of stories told by those who fought to these reporters. Obviously it's biased towards the British squaddies and shows how they saw the war and what they thought of how it was managed but overall it's funny, moving and highly informative.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

I read "One Hundred Days" by Admiral Woodward (Falklands Task Force Commander), "Amphibious Assault Falklands" by Captain Michael Clapp (Amphibious Task Group Commander) and Major Ewen Southby-Tailyour, and "Sea Harrier over the Falklands" by Commander "Sharkey" Ward. All have their own interesting views. It's good to get as many views as possible to try and get a picture of what happened as well as what war was like from that view.

Reply to
Gary Kato

In article , Nick Pedley writes

I'd forgotten about that one, but I concur with the description. OT for this thread, but the good news for anyone who has read and enjoyed this book is that there was a follow-up about the British forces in peacetime, "Try not to laugh, Sergeant-Major"

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

If you can find it, Falklands: The Air War , Arms & Armour is still pretty definitive. there was a good book from Midland last year of a similar name.

Reply to
Dave Fleming

"PPT_Ranger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

THAT'S THE ONE!! Couldn't remember the name of it and my books are still packed away. Fantastic, probably the best single reference available. One of the authors was in London covering the politics, the other was with the fleet. One of the most interesting books I've read covering a single "incident", battle or war.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The WW I battles were Coronel and the Falklands, and involved the loss of British armoured cruisers and the German cruiser under Admiral Graf von Spee.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

i did say ww1, cookie. you read that too.? reminds me of mahan's riverine stuff for some reason.

I'd have to agree that it's the best from the British side--I don't know what the Argentines have put out. The Times of London put out a quickie book "the War inthe Falklands, which lost most of its virtue when the more insightful Hastings and Jenkins book came out, and there's also "The Sinking of the Belgrano," by Desmond Rice and Arthur Gavshon.

As to the WWI battles, Edwin P. Hoyt put out a book years ago, "Kreuzerkrieg," which may have the most detail on Coronel and the First Battle of the Falklands, but the writing is only so-so and there are a host of minor inaccuracies. There's nothing grossly wrong in it, so it's a good first stop for those wishing to become familiar with the details.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dave Fleming at snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote on 16/11/03 20:13:

Don't Cry For Me Sergeant Major by Jeremy Hands and Robert McGowan is still one of the best books about the Falkland War ever written.

Reply to
Rory Manton

in article snipped-for-privacy@news06.west.earthlink.net, Mark Schynert at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote on 17/11/03 1:43:

The Ship That Hunted Itself is also set down in the south atlantic. The British liner Carmania meets the German liner Cap Trafalger disguise themselfs as each other then meet at sea.

Reply to
Rory Manton

I'll second the endorsement for "100 days".

Reply to
RC Boater