OT: Rockin....

Just rode through the most "violent" earthquake I've ever felt. It was only a 4.1, but I live almost on top of the epicenter of this one...neat.

It's the one which occurred at 17:40:03 today:

Rufus

would you believe we didn't feel a thing? damned strange.

That's possible...I've slept through 6.0s that were within 20 miles of me. From what USGS shows, this one was about right under my feet - 5 miles east of zipcode center. Looks like we've also had a 1.8 aftershock in the last hour - missed that one.

But I also recall rolling over one morning thinking we'd had a little one...turned out to be the Northridge quake...we were cut off up here for some months. Only way south off the Mojave without flying was through Death Valley or down 395.

Reply to
Rufus

i didn't feel anything here. i don't get it. am i on a diffeent plate? i wasn't here for northridge but i know someone in simi. they didn't quite loose their house. i was in the alaska quake. we were at a friends, it started, we went outside and his cabin folded up like a cartoon cabin. i learned you don't stand uo during a quake....you lay on the ground trying to kiss your ass goodbye!

i'm really close to rufus, that's what makes it wierd.

Down here (100 mi from Ridgecrest, approx) didn't feel anything. e or rufus- can you guys feel any of the quakes south of Palm Springs- those shake my house like a really big truck going past-

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Rock formations, probably. My barber lives not far from a quarry and never feels the blasting but the guy down the road does. Considering how folded the layers are underneath the shock probably follows the layer in which it occurred.

"Or why a little earth science knowledge can be a dangerous thing." Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

the only shakes i've felt here is when the opfor guys at irwin are giving lessons to a new rotation. in 4 years, i've never felt a shimmy. you get some good ones, don't you jim?

interesting.

Think about it- what are the chances of an earthquake on a given day times the chances that it's raining in the Mojave- that's about slim and none, squared.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Yeah. I know that the two have nothing to do with each other, but I got to work this morning and challenged anyone to think of a quake they had either witnessed or heard about in the news when it was also raining at the quake site at the time, and noone could. Odd tidbit.

Reply to
Rufus

The chances of a quake here are pretty high - remember those TV ads that touted Ridgecrest as "the shakiest place on earth"?

That's why I'm surprised I can't recall one during a rain.

Reply to
Rufus

but over 4 billion years, it must have happened twice!

maybe it's a "silly season" phenom?

I'll just standby and wait for the nimrods to blame it on global warming...

Reply to
Rufus

i thought it was the el nino scapegoat this week?

You were probably confusing that with the chupacabras...

Reply to
Rufus

The rain in the desert? The quake was probably caused by all the illegals coming north to protest. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Sounds great even if I've never heard the music. I may have though if it's ever shown up on "Echoes". Can't recall anything with train horns. For pure mournful horns I don't think any diesel today can match the sound of a GG1 rolling across the countryside at night.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

this was steam all the way. even the chugging was dopplered. i'll send you a copy next swap.