OT: Space Shuttle Discovery - specifically the gantry/tower

Admittedly, I'm one of those that hardly take notice of the shuttle flights anymore - so if I missed something, forgive me. In the AP photos of the pending launch you can no longer see the shuttle - just the nose of the central tank. Is this an existing tower or something new as a result of the debris that damaged Columbia? Seems odd if that is the case, considering some of Discovery's tiles were damaged yesterday.

Is it just the angle they allowed the photogs to congregate for their pics, or is the entire launch vehicle as enclosed as it appears from the pics?

TIA

WmB

Reply to
WmB

" WmB" wrote in news:R19Be.22310$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

shuttle

the AP

shuttle - just

something

odd if that

damaged

for their

appears from

Having done a bit of research in the real space arena...

The gantry and tower are the old Apollo units suitably modified. So is the crawler/transporter. Nothing new here, just view angle.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I think it was the angle as I later saw the usual scene.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Same here. Must have been a cub reporter at the wrong gate. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB