OT: Status of the D-Day Museum in New Orleans ?

I think it's safe to say the Dutch don't get any Cat 5 hurricanes, or anything even remotely similar.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

You know, if the Dutch can reclaim land from the sea why the heck can't we? I know, the Netherlands doesn't get many Category 5 hurricanes but there are still ways to improve the situation down there. It will require a large effort but now would be a good time to start.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I don't think they're surrounded by water on all sides either.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

The New Orleans MSA is 1.5MM. So...

10,000/1,500,000=0.00667 I'd say that's a very small percentage. But

Thank God, you're not in charge. What a callous attitude. If that is the nature of your character Bill, go back to building models, the rest of the country will help (re)build the city. New Orleans will rebuild and return. It's the American (and New Orleanian) way.

Like a wise man once said,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

I left out all post 1990 hurricanes.....

Reply to
rwsmithjr

If they want to be that damned stupid, let them. Darwinism will raise its head again.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

it worked for San Francisco in 1903

Reply to
Dan drumm

sorry it was 1906

Reply to
Dan drumm

Right! But the taxpayers, not Darwin, get stuck with the bill.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

This guy is a flaming idiot!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill,

Like looters, there are some people in this world that are insensitive to the plight and hope of others. The only suffering or dream they heed or value is their own.

Thanks.

Kaliste

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

Well, I thank God I'm not in charge either. Of course New Orleans will be rebuilt and taxpayers everywhere will pay a large chunk of the freight. Perhaps we should have some say in how it's rebuilt. Hopefully it will be a better city that the cesspool it was before. When it is rebuilt, perhaps they'll be smart enough to put it on land that's above the waterline this time.

From what I've seen on the almost continuous media coverage, most of those looters and others running around seemed healthy enough to have evacuated if they wanted to. Hell, if it was me and a Cat-5 storm was coming, If I was able-bodied enough to carry a television on my back, I'd find a way to get out of the path of the storm some way. If I had no car I'd take a bus or a train, or even walk out if there (but then, my parents raised me to be fairly self-reliant).

As far as helping out, as one of a small minority of people with experience in researching and identifying war casualties, I'm on standby to go down there. By the way, how come you're sitting at your computer typing out RMS posts. Shouldn't you be out there helping people?

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I'm sure as hell not willing to bet rebuilding New Orleans is a worthy investment and I sure as hell don't want to pay for it.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

K:

I'm not insensitive to the plight of the people, just to the idea of repeating the mistake that got them in the plight they are in which is building a city essentially below sea level in Hurricane alley. It probably will cost just as much to re-build NO as it will to help people re-locate. But, re locating to higher ground will at least prevent a repeat of this mess. They have known for years that NO was a disaster waiting to happen but nothing was done, not by the state or Louisiana and not by the Federal Government. The Corps of Engineers have gone to Congress several times for $$ to shore up those sea walls and dikes and Congress always said no! This is both Republican and Democratic controlled Congress. And the State of Louisiana hasn't been willing to spend the $$ either. They are all pointing at President Bush but there is blame enough to go around for all in this matter.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I have a sneaky suspicion that NOLA will have rebuilt itself before all the "good ideas" have been aired. One of the realities is that the currently flooded area is only about 1/3 of the metropolitan area. As of Monday, residents of Jefferson Parish may return home, albeit with a ton of avisos. For those who aren't familiar with the area, Jeff Parish and Metairie are on the other side of the westernmost canal that was breeched on its eastern bank. Could have easily been vice-versa...but it wasn't in this case.

The West Bank of the river remained unflooded for the most part as well.

Thats not meant to minimize the proportions of the disaster. The city's core and the home of half-million residents are in shambles. Many of these neighborhoods will simply have to be bulldozed away and many folks won't have a neighbourhood to return to even if they choose to do so.

What to do with these areas? Ask someone with a crystal ball. Raising their elevation by filling them in isn't logical because they would simply be isolated islands in the lower state geography next time a cat

5 hits. Leave 'em empty? Make a big fuggin park? I don't know.

I suspect that the city will be put back basically like it was with more attention (money) paid to the levee system. To abandon the flooded city centre would be more of a tragedy to the surrounding area than what the storm caused.

The same WILL happen again...just as sure as California earthquakes and wildfires and mudslides. No one can ever totally prepared for this magnitude but hopefully next time the authorities will have their act in better order.

Sri for ranting OT,

Bill

Reply to
-ex-
[[[ Most of the posting truncated, out of concern for mankind. ]]]

Judging by the content of your postings, you *do* seem like the type who would blame the Federal Government for not doing enough to prevent

*you* from being stung by a scorpion.

And yes...there *was* a fairly effective "scorpion repellant" in common use...but the Liberals had it "outlawed". Rattlesnakes, on the other hand, you do *not* want to kill. In this part of the country, they are harvested for eatin' purposes. YUMMY!!!

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I wouldn't bet on that last thought, being somewhat familiar with Louisiana Politics.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Well aside from giving financial aid, helping house refugees and find their children space in local schools, donating legal assistance, donating space to allow others to conduct some personal business and communicate with others, oh yeah and taking care of my own family and business, I guess I don't have much else to do.

Oh, yeah, I also am a participating member of a group who are setting up free computer access in our city's refugee centers so that storm refugees can check their email and who knows perhaps post on RMS too... If they do, I know they'd be ashamed for and angered at the callousness of some people on this board regarding their plight.

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

Bill

Where did you work during Andrew?

I was the shelter manager at Robert E. Lee Junior High School in Miami. Started with 500+, about 100 when I left. FEMA offices used part of the old school to find housing for people whose homes were just plain gone.

My one day off was spent at Kermit Weeks' museum, or rather what was left of it. The damage was extensive, but (except for the buildings) most were eventually restored to display condition.

What really got to me was driving from Miami to Homestead and seeing nothing but devastation. Trailer parks and homes can understand, but seeing big apartment buildings and shopping centers just demolished was a shock.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I'm not sure if I'm the Bill you were referring to, Tom but when Andrew hit I was deployed to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait with Lt Gen Mike Nelson establishing Operation SOUTHERN WATCH and initiating the Southern No-fly zone.

Reply to
Bill Woodier