OT: Status of the D-Day Museum in New Orleans ?

Tom:

I was at Homestead. We had a site there, after the storm we had a 40' X

60' concrete slab, swept clean! I called my boss to report and he asked where was the equipment? I said somewhere back in the swamps. He said I should go look for it. I said the snakes and gators had survived just fine and if he thought any of the equipment was still usable he could go look for it himself. Dedication can be carried too far!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

D-Day museum is apparently intact with no damage or looting (as reported elsewhere). It sounds like they did better than many other places in the disaster area. The USS Alabama in Mobile has a slight tilt and the neightbouring air museum is a mess with many aircraft needing major repairs. The staff took shelter in the battleship which (unsurprisingly!) weathered the storm rather well.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

What I read about USS Alabama was that it got that same tilt from other hurricanes - it's no big deal & they know how to fix it when the time comes. Apparently, it buttons up pretty well.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

Would I be right in guessing it's just a small leak in some sealed compartments down below? Bit of pumping out and cleaning up.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

My guess is that it was picked up by the storm surge & settled back into mud that had partially filled the depression where it normally sits. Maybe a couple of weeks suction dredging to level it out again? A small leak would be an ongoing issue, not just suddenly appear when the storm hit (not that there might not be plenty of those as well).

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

John Mianowski wrote: : : A small leak would be an ongoing issue, not just suddenly appear when : the storm hit (not that there might not be plenty of those as well). : If the site is without power, then the bilge pumps are not running, and that would account for a slight list.

Normally, the bilge pumps will deal with the seepage.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

There was a short blurb on the news last night about the D-Day museum. It seems looters broke in there while the caretaker was inside. According to the caretaker, the looters ransacked the office spaces and took computers and some other office-type stuff but didn't bother with the historical items.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Sure, but it's not going to show up noticeably, instantly, unless it's a very unstable ship to begin with.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski