OT: Stuka Wreckage Found in Greek Waters

Greek divers lift WWII bomber wreckage By NICHOLAS PAPHITIS, Associated Press Writer

8 minutes ago

ATHENS, Greece - Greek military divers Friday successfully raised the wreckage of a German World War II Stuka bomber from the sea off the eastern island of Rhodes, the air force said.

The Junkers-87 dive-bomber was shot down in 1943 and will be conserved and displayed at the air force museum at an airport near Athens, air force spokesman Col. Ioannis Papageorgiou said.

Papageorgiou said there was no trace of the two airmen's bodies.

"The plane was raised a couple of hours ago, and I don't know yet whether there are any remains inside," he told The Associated Press.

He said part of the plane's tail section appeared to be missing.

The two-seater's wreckage was located two years ago by a trawler, which caught it in its nets seven miles offshore at a depth of 492 feet, and dragged it close to the island's southern coast.

Air force experts believe the plane was part of a Luftwaffe squadron operating from Rhodes that lost several Stukas to allied ships and aircraft on Oct. 9, 1943.

"Once we locate the serial number, we will be able to identify the plane, what squadron it belonged to and the crew," Papageorgiou said.

Fitted with a screaming siren for maximum psychological effect, the gull-winged, single-engine Stuka was a feared symbol of Nazi military power.

Used in action in the Spanish Civil War, it played a major role in the German invasions of Poland and France, but was outdated and severely outgunned by allied fighters by 1943.

Out of some 6,000 aircraft produced between 1936 and 1944, only two survive intact in museums, while the wrecks of three more Stukas have been salvaged.

Reply to
crw59

only 2? that's really sad.

i believe the brits have it. i seem to remember reading about it. unless crs is active...

Not sure where #2 might be, but there's one hanging in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, alongside a Spit.

Reply to
Disco58

RAF Museum Hendon

Reply to
Willshak

Last I was following, the one in Chicago had fallen from the ceiling and the EAA in Oshkosh had the task of restoring it...then they held onto it. At least they did for some time after the restoration was completed. Glad to hear the Science and Industry finally got it back.

Reply to
Rufus

In article , Willshak wrote: .

thanks. i think i saw a pic somewhere, prolly the museums website.

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:x5BVg.104832$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.news.easynews.com:

I've got a tape on the Stuka and it has a complete intact Stuka in it. I believe it was in Blighty.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The EAA returned that Stuka (still the world's only surviving Ju 87 B) to Chicago at least 20 years ago. Time flies, doesn't it? ;-)

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

What's that? My hearin's going...must be gittin' old...

What's the scoup on Tut tix? I hear the exhibit is at teh Field. Wouldn't mind seeing it when I'm back over turkey-day week.

Reply to
Rufus

The second Stuka (until now) is a Ju 87 G that's on display in the RAF Museum without its underwing cannon and with a rather badly-faked ventral bomb trapeze -- i.e., disguised as a Ju 87 D. Many photos of this aircraft can be found in Aero Detail No. 11.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Rufus wrote, among other things:

Sorry, Rufus; I don't know.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

I'll have to work da web...

Reply to
Rufus

To be picky, the Chicago Stuka is a Ju 87R, not a B.

In fairness, the external differences between the two were nearly non-existant.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

IIRC there used to be a Stuka at the bottom of Grand Harbor in Malta. You could look down see it on a clear day. In the early years after the war you could also just make out the remains of the pilot still in the cockpit. I wonder if that bird is still there??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey