P-51B Mustang III Wheel Well Doors - Down?

the 1/32 Revell Germany instructions shows that with wheels down, the large doors are closed, flush with the wings. Is that correct or should they be down?.

thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Depends on how soon after landing or run-up you wish to depict the aircraft...as I recall the inner doors are hydraulically actuated - if the engine is/has been running and the pressure is up, so are the doors. Otherwise, they bleed down and then the doors drop open. If you Google images of P-51s you'll see them shut with the engine running, and open with the engine shut down.

So your choice - either would be "correct".

Reply to
Rufus

Doors are up (closed) as long as there is hydraulic pressure - engine running - right after startup - and for a while after landing - after setting for a while the pressure bleeds off and the doors settle in an open position....

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Most owners bleed off the hydraulic pressure once shutdown in an attempt to reduce load/wear on the hydraulics and seals. I assume it would be the same for a B model as well.

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to bleed down the pressure?

Reply to
The Raven

Generally that happens whether you "choose" to or not...

Reply to
Rufus