Paint trick

Hi all. I read that thinning gloss or semi gloss enamel with Ronsonol
lighter fluid will produce a dull or flat finish. Is there any truth in
this? TIA Pete
Reply to
The Laws
What's a 'dull or flat finish'? -- C.R. Krieger Car Modeler =;^)
Reply to
C.R. Krieger
isn't a dull finish when you've built 5 of the same kit?
Reply to
eyeball
Non-glossy. What some people call "matte".
Reply to
Wayne C. Morris
no....... thats an obsession.........dull is when they are all the same variant of the same model made by the same manufacturer.....with the same camo paint scheme.............and it took you 3 years of dull work...............lol
Reply to
Arcusinoz
Hey it may make the paint matte .....but ur model will prob burst into flame spontanously the first time a cigarette smoker walks past ...........sorry i couldnt resist ...........lol
Reply to
Arcusinoz
The paint you use on tires and upholstery :-)
Reply to
Don Stauffer
Why not just use flat paint?
;^)
Martin
Reply to
centennialofflight
Because you cannot get all colors in a flat formulation. Pete
Reply to
The Laws
Pete,
Looks like you are elected to try this out.
So let us know how it works.
Reply to
Wildcat
You can add "flat clear" to the color itself to flatten it. Adding "gloss clear" will also gloss up a paint. If you airbrush either of these mixtures, you'll need to add a little more thinner than usual because the "clear" is pretty thick.
I haven't used lighter fluid for airbrushing but I have used it for cleaning paint brushes and it works pretty good as a cheap alternative to thinner.
Martin
Reply to
centennialofflight
Lighter fluid always made a more-than-satisfactory thinner for spraying the original Testor's Model Master enamels.
Has anyone tried with airbrushing, the old "masters' trick" of mixing in a small dab of talcum powder into the paint? This works miracles in brush painting, for "matte-ing" glossy colors. Is it fine enough to airbrush?
Reply to
Greg Heilers
That's why they make flat clear coats....
Reply to
rwsmithjr