Polar Lights Enterprise (Star Trek)

I'm putting a couple of these together for my nephews this Xmas. Am trying to just get 'em to snap together, and then I'll affix the peel-off stickers. These little dudes are gonna use 'em as toys anyway. Will be lucky to survive to the New Year.

Anybody else having trouble getting the engine nacelles on properly? I ended up having to glue one, and then the other one popped off. Trying to get it back on the way it was didn't work because the tongue & groove attachment thing doesn't grip too well anymore. Must have worn out some. Gonna have to glue that mo-fo too, I guess.

I've been modelling for over 30 years. Is this kit so basic that it's kicking my ass?

: )

-- Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

SHIT!! Port nacelle just snapped off while I was trying to hold it in the proper position until the superglue cured.

Left to its own devices, the nacelle won't settle into the proper orientation, so I was hoping hold it long enough for the glue to do its thing. Guess I applied too much force.

SHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

sounds like an instant Klingon battle diorama!

Craig

Reply to
Craig

OK. Now my butt is truly kicked by this thing. I thought I'd bring out the SECRET WEAPON: 2-part 5-minute epoxy. Maybe I didn't get the proportions quite right because this stuff has worked like gangbusters before.

But after holding the damn pieces together for well over 5 minutes, the stuff just didn't harden. So I'm left with two stinky, slimy pieces of styrene that AREN'T STUCK TOGETHER. So I wiped 'em off and let 'em be for the rest of the day.

Gonna have another go at it on another day. And to think I've got to build ANOTHER of these monsters before Xmas!

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

that nacelle didn't fit right for me either...must be a design flaw,probably to allow them to eject the warp drive at high velocity!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Wasn't the nacelle thing the SAME problem we all had with the original AMT kits? One went in fine and the second was impossible to get level, etc. Amazing after almost 40 years of the USS Enterprise, no one can build a kit that can solve the nacelle problem.

Geez. think I will donate mine to the Xmas toy drive and be done with it.

Craig

Reply to
who me?

I used to epoxy a piece of in a piece of coat hanger wire inside the hull, cut off the nacelle mounting tabs, dowell the wire up both the nacelle booms, and fair it all in with more epoxy!

Reply to
BomberODavid

No original Enterprise offering yet, but those Bandai Star Trek kits don't have any nacelle fit or durability problems.

Reply to
Scott T. Hards

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

ONE hell. Mine were so $%^# up that when I got to the decal sheet my only real choice was the USS Constellation.

Trekkers will understand.

WmB

WmB

real choice was

IIRC, it took close to 5 tries before the pylon design finally worked. There must be a ton of Constellations out there. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Sounds like mine went on relatively easy. They do tend to pop off if not handled carefully, but I haven't glued them on yet (quick build for a review). It took a bit of fiddling, but they are lined up right.

Dom

Reply to
Dominique Durocher

Use glue. For the love of god, use glue! Gotta make another one before Xmas, and that's the plan.

As for the port nacelle that snapped off? I mixed up some more 2-part epoxy and MADE it stay on. I think the joint is stronger than the original one.

I *spanked* this bad girl into obedience. This kit is my b*tch!!

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

Sorry guys...got a little carried away. Seriously, use glue.

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

just don't sniff it