Protecting fuselage windows.

Now building the Trumpeter 1/48 C-47 (along with about five other kits, but that's another story).

Anyway, instead of the old Monogram style strips, the side windows are now glued from the inside (as I recall this AM).

So, how do I prevent punching a window into the fuselage when masking, painting, and de-masking? What to do when it inevitably happens? There's no way to reach the forward windows through the cargo door once the sides are assembled, and it would be a disaster.

Any great ideas?

Reply to
Viperdoc

Just be sure it is a very good joint before gluing sides together. Test push on windows. If there is ANY hint of loosening fix it before you glue sides together. Also, fill any gaps around windows with microglaze or similar product before gluing sides together.

Use a good modeler's masking tape, like the Tamiya stuff. Be careful both in masking AND removing masking. It can be done.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I don't have the kit so I haven't seen the actual configuration. - If some of the interior is visible through an open door then its would be differnt that something that can't be seen so you could be a little cruder in the approach. I would probaly glue the windows with crystal or whatever that won't craze the clear - after that drys run a seam of 5 minute expoy around the endge of the window and onto some bare plastic of the wall. Make sure the mold release is washed off, and first try the epoxy on a piece of sprue to assure it won't craze the expoy. You may want a second layer to build strength - a toothpick is good for thin applications. - Even though its 5 minute epoxy it doesn't develope full strength in 5 minutes - let it cure over night. Next I'd apply the mask to the windows on the outside. If your going to press on windows do it now while it can be fixed before gluing the fuselage together. Then assemble and paint. Now you pull the mask off - and there's no pushing on the window involved. Just don't leave the mask on forever as you go off to other projects and end up having it really adhere to the clear surface.

You could still get a thin coat around any windows visible from the door and then carefully prime and paint the fully cured expoy.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Glue them in with watch crystal cement - the stuff sticks, and stays stuck! And is crystal clear...

Reply to
Rufus