future & flat coat questions

Working on a 1/72 scale C-47, and I had an idea:
The model is assembled and painted with pollyscale acryilics. Next step
would typically be to put a coat of future on, decal, and then finish up
with a flat topcoat.
Keeping in mind that the model has fuselage windows (already installed) I
wonder:
Can I just do the futre/deal/flat coat thing, on the entire airframe
(windows and all) and then apply some future by brush just to the windows?
Will future on top of the flat coat make the windows clear again?
Looking for a lazy way to keep from having to mask all those little windows
again. When I masked them before painting the fuselage, I knocked some loose
when I tried to burnish the tape down. (Now they're rattling inside the
fuselage!)
TIA,
-Bill
Reply to
RC Boater
I think this will work,I have had flat on edges that cleared up under future but your mileage may vary
Reply to
Eyeball2002308
It will not work as the flattening agent in the dulcote (or whatever you use) is talc and will give the window a frosted look. just mask the off again and you should be just fine.
Reply to
Scott A. Bregi
the real best answer...tried it for yourself and see! let us know
Reply to
Eyeball2002308
It'll make them glossy, but they'll probably look frosted due to the flattening agents in the flat coat.
I suggest you buy some liquid mask. Brush it onto the windows and let it dry; spray your flat coat and let it dry; then carefully rub & peel the mask off the windows.
Reply to
Wayne C. Morris
Caution! Future can be dissolved with ammonia. Some liquid masks contain ammonia. I tried to use Maskol over a "futured" canopy once. After removing the maskol the canopy had taken on a violet hue: the ammonia in the Maskol had reacted with the future. Fortunately I was able to remove the future using ammonia and then "refuture" it. In the end no harm was done, but upon discovering the tinted canopy my bloodpressure rose to unprecedented levels... ;-)
Cave Putorem
Steven
Reply to
ikke
I went to my local shop, and bought some liquid mask (in th little bottle, made by the Micro--sol people). After I got it home, I noticed that the fine print says that it is not recommended for use with water based paints. (I use Pollyscale and MM acrylics.)
So, what brand of liquid mask shoudl I use with these paints?
Reply to
RC Boater
Oh yeah! Been there done that! Smashed a few canopies in livid rage I'll tell ya!
Reply to
Scott A. Bregi
The bottle you bought. The stuff is potentially soluble by the elements in acrylic paint, but unless you lay on a real wet coat, it won't be an issue. I use the stuff all the time w/Poly Scale and have no problem. What I would not do is put Micro-Mask over acrylic paint--I've found it doesn't come up cleanly after painting. For masking over paint, I just use tape.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
Not a good idea. Would be smart to mask those windows first.
Reply to
PerkMstr