Yellowing Future?

Has anyone ever had problems with Future yellowing on their models after several months? I used Future to set the decals on some models a while back (might have been last summer), and today I noticed lots of yellowish blotches and drips in the finish. Is it maybe decal adhesive residue? If so, is there any way to wash off the residue the next time I decal models with Future? It just washes off when using Micro-sol or something, but does the adhesive get mixed in with the Future coat, making it impossible to remove? Any ideas?

Dave

Reply to
David Graf

What color is your paint? You paint could be outgassing if it wasn't completely cured. It's impossible for Future to yellow chemically. You can use isopropyl alchohol to clean the surface prior to Futuring. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I've had future turn yellow after application over the old Floquil RR Reefer White (lacquer) which had cured at least a week. I ended up throwing out the whole bottle of future which had yellowed (in the bottle) after about 10 years.

Reply to
walker

I get some yellowing, but that's like after ten years or so. Also, it seems less severe than the yellowing from Floquil Clear. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

The paint was a mixture of Model Master enamels, mostly gull grey and JA grey (it was a Star Trek model). I can't recall how long I let the paint dry before applying decals. The stains seem to be in places where liquid would puddle - in crevices, in the middle of large, flat areas, and in drip-shaped formations on vertical surfaces. That's why I suspect it's the Future. It's frustrating, because the model looked pretty nice right after I finished it :0(

Dave

"Keeper" wrote

Reply to
David Graf

That sounds more like decal fluids than Future. Unless you put it on too wet, Future levels quite evenly. Without looking at it directly I'd hate to make a conclusion. Since you used enamels you could take the Future off with ammonia and start over with a clear coat. I'd start in a small area where it's stained and see if you can fix the problem. Applying another coat of Future over a stain won't solve anything. Have you ever tried Floquil Crystal Clear? Also a nice non yellowing final finish. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Well, maybe you can, and maybe you can't. That too depends on the underlying paint, and how long it has cured. I have had bad results with isopropanol on Polly Scale that has cured enough to take Future application, but evidently not enough to avoid discoloration from contact with the alcohol. The alcohol is even worse if it hits Tamiya acrylics, which dissolve very easily. I have rarely had a problem with excess decal adhesive, and it will wipe off easily with distilled water when it is a problem (the residue is milky, and consequently pretty obvious).

I've also never had Future yellow, though my models are never in direct sunlight and my history with Future only goes back about six years. I wonder if the underlying paint is the source of the yellowing. Or your Future may have been contaminated by intermixing with residue in a hand brush or airbrush during application.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Maybe I didn't include enough of a quote there. He had stated he used MM enamels, in which case he could use isopropyl to clean. If it was any type of acrylic paint I'd definitely reccomend the distilled water. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

there was a car site that had photos showing this (lost the URL) - basically, Future does yellow, and it seems to yellow more (or more noticably) the thicker the coat. One modeller had a kit he had sponged/wiped future onto that had little noticable yellowing after 10 tyears, yet one which had been brushed yellowed after a few months.

I've had Klear yellow in the bottle as well.

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

OK, my bad. Just afraid someone would see that one post in isolation and react accordingly.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert