Decals lifting and bubbling

I had decals came lose and bubbled on my last couple of models. After decaling, I let the models dried for 24 hours. I then washed them with warm water using some dish washing detergent. Luckily those that came off were the small stencils and not that obvious. I managed to save some important ones and placed them back using future. Did I do any wrong. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Reply to
EDKADK

decaling, I let the models dried for 24 hours. I then washed them with warm water using some dish washing detergent.>>

Why? That's what did it. The decal adhesive is water-soluble. Even though they appeared to be dry, they weren't "set". After they've dried a day or two, they need to be sealed under a clear coat of some kind.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Hmm... Curious...

I have been decaling for years and I *ALWAYS* wash the model after the decals were applied and thoroughly dried. I gently wash the model with a very soft sable brush and a bit of detergent. I do it to wash off any water stains or glue residue before sealing decals.

After the wash and thorough dry process again, I seal them with a clear lacquer. Never had any bubling issues.

------------------------------------------- To the original poster: What brand of decal is it? WHat type of paint were the decals applied over? Was that paint thoroughly dry? Was any type of setting solution used? Did they bubble right after washing, or much later ? Did you ever apply any sealant (clear) coat?

The info you provided so far is not enough to make an educated guess.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Peteski wrote-->I have been decaling for years and I *ALWAYS* wash the model after the decals were applied and thoroughly dried. I gently wash the model with a very soft sable brush and a bit of detergent. I do it to wash off any water stains or glue residue before sealing decals. After the wash and thorough dry process again, I seal them with a clear lacquer. Never had any bubbling issues.>>

Ok...not going to say I stand corrected, but.... I had the same problem as the original poster, and was told I made the same mistake, so I quit washing after decaling, and the problem went away. I will make the concession that maybe there was another variable in the process that neither of us have mentioned, or remember; not sure what it may be, decal manufacturer, setting solutions, pre-decal cleaning, dry time, who knows.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Yeah, I find a q-tip is sufficient for clean up. Of course, if you use decal solvent and they've dried for a couple of days they're not coming off easy. Tape maybe.

And as we all know, decals don't adhere well to unpainted or flat paint surfaces. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

You found the answer yourself: use Future as the decal adhesive. Put a drop of Future on the model and slide the decal in it. If the decal still silvers, rub off the decal glue, and use Future as the replacement glue. Look at my website (more specifically the YF-23, Stuka and Super Etendard pages) to see how well it works.

Rob de Bie

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie