Thinning Future

Yesterday I airbrushed two of my models with Future, in preparation to decaling them. Models are airbrushed with matt Humbrol enamels. I was not totally pleased with the result: when I lay down thin layers, the surface tension is to strong, resulting in pebble like finish. A more heavy layer does coat the model, with the risk of runs and pooling.

I tried to do something about the surface tension adding dishwashing detergent and alcohol, but noticed no difference.

My question: should I show more patience and restraint, and apply multiple thin layers, or is there a way to cover my model in one go without running Future?

TIA

Steven

Reply to
Steven

I don't think surface tension is the problem. It's more likely that your air pressure is too high, causing the Future to dry as soon as it hits the model.

I find it's much easier to apply Future with a brush. I use an artist's brush with a half-inch wide chisel tip. You won't get runs or drips if you don't have too much Future on the brush.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

He could also be too far away from the surface.

Reply to
John McGrail

I spray at 200 grams (about 2.8 PSI) from about 10-15 cm (4-6") I'll give the brush method a try tonight! I'll also try a wider nozzle and spraying from closer by. Will post my findings tomorrow.

Thanks for replying.

Steven

Reply to
Steven

Steven wrote in news:Xns9FAC588ED6EFFCave.Putorem@

69.16.176.251:

How exactly do you get so precise and low a reading? I just recently bought a

0 to 30 psi 270 degree dial since the 0-125 didn't give me anywhere near the precision I wnated?
Reply to
Gray Guest

Both methods were entirely satisfactory. Not sure if it's because I already had a first layer of future on the model. That's something I intend to find out when working on the next model.

TTFN

Steven

Reply to
Steven

Gray Guest wrote in news:Xns9FAC69A5E156FWereofftoseethewizrd@88.198.244.100:

The dial on my compressor has a scale ranging from 0-5 kg/cm² Between each kg/cm² there are 4 marks. I have my regulator set to the lowest mark, i.e. 200 gr.

HTH

Steven

Reply to
Steven

Steven wrote in news:Xns9FAD7C4AE67AECave.Putorem@

69.16.176.251:

Cool, sounds like you did what i did and looked for a regulator and gauge that would allow such fine adjustments.

Trying to adjust down to 12 psi on a 0-125 psi scale was kind of a crap shoot. Was never sure where it really was.

Reply to
Gray Guest