Re: Using Future on Models

Hi Folks:

Well, I'm lucky enough to live in North America where Future Polish is readily available. My question is: How does one use this on a model? From the little I've read, it's applied *after* the final painting..but, I've also heard others claim it can be 'wet-sanded' between coats of paint. (This makes no sense to me as I understand the product to be a 'finishing-type' polish. In any case, I tried a trial section on a piece of smooth, Testor's painted, plastic car roof. Didn't work too well at all! However, I wasn't sure how to apply the Future. I simply wiped on a light coating, waited a few minutes and tried to wipe off. There was 'frosting' and 'hazing' I can't remove. Obviously, I did something wrong..but what?

Any help mucho appreciated Jon

Reply to
Jon

Hi Jon, The term 'polish' is what threw you off.

Future is actually an acrylic clear coat and not a polish per se. Just paint it on as you would any clear coat (you can airbrush, but there is normally no need as it brushes beautifully with a good brush). Dries very quickly, but let it sit for a few days before applying decals.

I think Future can be removed with ammonia (nasty) or many glass cleaners. If you use a water-based acrylic paint, this may be damaged and you can try just brushing on another coat of Future and let it dry. Worth a shot.

Future can also be used for canopies and windows by simply dipping the part in future and letting it dry under a dust cover. Make sure the part is clean and you might want to 'rub it in' while wet before the final dip. Just make sure to use dust-free tools, but if you get dust in there, more Future will dissolve the prior coat.

Cheers, Sten

Reply to
Sten

Why did you try to wipe it off? You simply apply and let it dry. Curt

Reply to
C Knowles

Guys:

'finishing-type'

Reply to
Jon

put it on fairly wet and let it dry like you would on your floor (special bonus!)...it will dry to a "wet look" hard acrylic finish.

Reply to
jah bill