[Q] Fixing trench-like panel lines?

I just got a matchbox kit of the DOrnier Do-18 flying boat. A nice kit for the price, except for the huge panel lines. How would I go about filling them and rescribing? Should I fill them in with epoxy and rescribe while still soft?

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef

Hi, I would fill the panel lines with superglue (cyanoacrylate) an rescribe when hard and dry. You may use some baking powder to accelerate the drying process, then sand smooth. KR Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

Yes, that's a do-able technique but scribing over cyano is something of a pain. I'd use one of the body putties; 3M, Squadron, etc. Apply, wipe off with methanol/methylated spirits and you're ready after a suitable drying period. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I've got the same kit in my queue, and I've decided to try Dr. Microtools (or substitute the red putty of your choice), on the teory that of I can lay a uniform moist flush bead of the stuff, it will shrink uniformly, leaving pnael lines that are still recessed, but more delicate. the devil's inthe details--I don't know if that kind of uniformity is possible, even with small make-up spatulas, but if it doesn't work, the stuff in easy to remove.

mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

My experience with this (my) technique is quite good as cyano turns rock hard when dry and the edges do not break away as is the case with (at least) the filler I use. ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

Stretch some sprue and glue it in, then sand flush and rescribe : )

Reply to
Jeff C