Polar Lights NX-01 Enterprise...

Has there been any reports of anyone getting this kit? According to PL that it is now shipping. Anyone got theirs yet?

William

Reply to
William L. Powell

It might be shipping to distributors. It would be a week or 2 before trickle down to the shops themselves.

RLM

Reply to
RLM

They're on Ebay if you want one.

Reply to
chris

I picked one up at the hobby store yesterday. Opened it up as soon as I got home, and the parts looked pretty good, except the panel lines reminded me of old Matchbox trenches. Then I did some dry fitting on parts 5 and 6. Panel lines that are supposed to cross the seam are mismatched by up to 20 thousandths of an inch. Will definitely require filling the panel lines and rescribing across the seam. I don't think this is going to be an easy build. Definitely going to take some time to correct some of the problems. Mark S. Remove nospm from address to reply

Reply to
Mark S.

TWENTY THOUSANDTHS...OMG let's retool!!!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

NOW HERE's a case of AMS!!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Forgive me, but I've seen that acronym several times now. What's AMS? Anal Modeller Syndrome? Accurate Modelling Sickness?

Am I getting warm?

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

You were almost there with the first one, AMS stands for Advanced Modeling Syndrome.

Usage can be complimentary or derogatory, depending on the subject and the comment.

Quite often, you'll read a review where a modeler mentions that: " I was going to do this out of box, but caught a bad case of AMS."

Which means he took a $30 kit, and added at least $60 worth of resin, photoetch, and other aftermarket parts, however this is usually a complimentary use of the phrase, usually used to express one's chagrin at doubling or tripling the cost of a kit.

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

I would never have thought of that as an example of AMS. To me, AMS is when a modeler spends huge amounts of time and effort correcting faults and adding details from scratch, with little or no use of aftermarket parts.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

I thought it was when the modeller spends vast amounts of time and effort to track down all the details on a project only to have it held up because he can't get the proper shade of paint for the relief tube.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

It can be both ways, but in essence, AMS is about the modeler having the "perfect" model, however he/she wants to go about it.

Adding detail to the nth degree isn't my thing, but I'll tip my hat and say "well done" to anybody that does it, I've seen some fantastic models done up with all the detail someone can muster, whether it be scracthbuilt, aftermarket, or a mix of both.

But, I've also read postings from modelers that will pick a kit aprt to the nth degree, I've even seen/heard it in person. You know the type, the guy (they're almost always male) who will pick apart every last detail on a kit, has plans to correct every last fault in shape and detail, but you never see any of his work. For example: "The trim tab in real life is 6.25 inches long, but the one on the model scales out to 6.223457 inches long, the kit is a peice of crap, the model company is a bucnh of idiots, etc." ad naseum

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

Starship Modeler just posted an in-box preview of the NX-01 this morning.

Rumor has it that someone is creating vinyl masks for the aztec pattern- which would be an AMS nightmare in and of itself.

Dorsal

Ventral
The rest of the reference pics:

If UPS is reliable, mine shows up tomorrow. I wonder how many bottles of Alclad I'll end up using?

Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua

Well, I FINALLY got mine. I bought it at Hobbytown USA for $46.00 w/tax. I checked it out and it looked real good and to me it is a hoss of a model. I compared it to my U.S.S. Missouri and the IJN Yamato in which are Tamyia kits and I asked myself if this was the real thing, then it would be a humongus ship. But first things first. Got to finish the Mizzou and the U-Boat. Then the NX is next....

William

Reply to
William L. Powell